OVER ACTIVE SILVER COCK!!!!! HELP !!! INJURED HEN

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by coffeepheasant, Mar 18, 2012.

1. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    My yearling silver pair have been displaying for weeks now and all seemed fine.... but today i went in and the hen was in the corned with a blooded eye and blood down her neck and no feathers!!!!!!! I washed her wounds and have separated them... but i really want some chicks so don't really want them separated for long.....
    I decided to catch the male and clip one of his wings.... and i filled the aviary with confiers to the point were u can't see in :D
    Is there anything else i can ?????? (get more hens ???)
    Any advice would be appriciated
    kind regards coffe pheasant.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It's best to run 4 or 5 hens to silvers as they are very aggressive breeders.As are ringnecks,reeves and amherst.This way with 4 or 5 hens ,he is not beating on just the 1 hen full time.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. coffeepheasant

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks that is exactly wat i thought... it is wierd because by reeves pair are brilliant together never fighting.. i thought it would be the other way round. I will follow ur advice.
    kid regards
    coffeepheasant

4. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just remember if you decide to get more hens.You can't just throw them in the pen with the males.Switch them around,put the silvers in the reeves pen and the reeves in the silvers pen,and also put the hens in first and then introduce the male.If you put the hens in the males pen he will attack to protect his territory,even if it's a hen.Reeves and silvers,what other breeds do you raise?
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Hey Tony. How many hens would you run with a Male Elliot?

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Eliots aren't that bad,but if you can get more hens,get them.If your male is aggressive the more hens the better,even on other breeds.I like running trios on all species that will trio.Some breeds are just 1 on 1,like impeyans,tragopans,mikado,firebacks,argus.If you can run trios or quads,do it,but make sure your male is a different bloodline from the hens.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. coffeepheasant

Jun 19, 2011
    I am still a bit young so I have a reduced collection :( but i have golden, lady amherst, reeves and silver pheasants. Hopefully i will be getting some more lophuras :) !!!!!! Would it be possible to add the hen if i split the aviary and put them in different sides for a few weeks then add them together outside the breeding season?????
    What is ur collect like ??
    coffee pheasant

8. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You can run them beside each other for a while and then let the male into the hens pen,but keep an eye on them.If he was rough on her before he maybe just a wild one.My breeds consist of:impeyans,edwards,mikados,eliots,temminicks,blue eareds,brown eareds,lewis silvers,swinhoes,and grey peacocks.I also raise diamond doves and cockatiels.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thanks Tony. Im glad you also mentioned about the ones that do best one on one. I feel some impeyans or trags coming this fall. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by