1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Over-aggressive Barred Rock Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henry4020, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Henry4020

Henry4020 New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    I have a barred rock rooster that is housed with 2 rhode island red hens. The rooster was hatched last spring, and has recently become extremely aggressive towards us (He's been crowing for months, though). His aggressiveness includes attacking with spurs whoever is in the pen for feeding/watering, etc. Any suggestions, or should he have the opportunity to enter the soup pot?

BTW - I have a second set of rhode island reds that include 15 hens and 2 roosters in an adjacent pen, and they are all happy.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You have two back up roosters that are not a problem? Soup pot for the barred rock.

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Soup is probably best. Don't have tame roosters. I never allow my kids to hold or interact with males from chicks to adults. This prevents aggression.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Definitely make some soup. You certainly wouldn't want to breed from such an aggressive bird, since the aggressiveness can be inherited. And you'd feel terrible if someone got hurt. I have a friend with a scar near his eye from a rooster attack when he was a child. He's lucky it missed the eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by