Over anxious chook mom

KerryC

Songster
Sep 22, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Okay, I'm just going to put myself out there and ask...

Is there anybody else (perhaps new owners like me) that has times when you're over anxious about everything with your chooks?

Okay, I have to admit, I do suffer with anxiety issues, but sometimes if they acting even slightly differently from one day, compare to another... I get anxious and wonder if they are okay?
Maybe I spend to much time with them...

Anybody else an over anxious chook mom?:rolleyes:

First is hardest, then it gets easier as you learn how to take care of them,
the signs of when something needs to be done and when it doesn't,
and to temper the anxiety about them, and in general.

I agree it's toughest at the start, then you learn to relax. My first batch were raised indoors in a bathroom, we ran up to check on them every time there was a sound, and I was constantly checking to make sure they weren't too hot or cold and that they had food and water that wasn't knocked over.

By the second batch they were outdoors from 2 days old and I just looked out the window every night to make sure the heating pad light was on. I was too lazy to clean so I simply dragged the brooder around the run and let my hens "clean up" the previous spot. We still worried about rain but that turned out to me more paranoia for me than the chicks (since it stayed dry enough in the brooder once I figured out where it was best placed). It was so much easier and the chicks ended up being friendlier than the first batch that had been babysat all the time.

Okay, I'm just going to put myself out there and ask...

Is there anybody else (perhaps new owners like me) that has times when you're over anxious about everything with your chooks?

Okay, I have to admit, I do suffer with anxiety issues, but sometimes if they acting even slightly differently from one day, compare to another... I get anxious and wonder if they are okay?
Maybe I spend to much time with them...

Anybody else an over anxious chook mom?:rolleyes:
Yes, me, about everything so incubating was erm interesting, chick integration, plans If we can’t keep our wee cockerel. There’s lots to think about but education is helpful and asking questions on here! Anxiety disorders and hatching chickens felt a tall order but right now am sitting in my coop watching chick TV with the 6 chicks I hatched and I’m so relaxed! For now !!

Yes, me, about everything so incubating was erm interesting, chick integration, plans If we can’t keep our wee cockerel. There’s lots to think about but education is helpful and asking questions on here! Anxiety disorders and hatching chickens felt a tall order but right now am sitting in my coop watching chick TV with the 6 chicks I hatched and I’m so relaxed! For now !!

:woot Congratulations on your new chicks! How exciting and well done! I haven't had to go through egg hatching but have gone through rehoming cockerals :rolleyes:
Through all the times of anxiety, I can definitely say that when I'm having a cuppa and watching my girls free roam I'm usually content :)

Back
Top Bottom