Over bred hen feather growth.

mustlovechickens_

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
So i have a flock of 6 beautiful Buff Cochin hens and have recently introduced a rooster to my flock. My girls are going to be year old May 1st and the rooster is exactly a year old. I've noticed that the rooster is taking more to one hen than the rest. i have to say she is very submissive to his wants. As for the other girls, they run from him and will occasionally try to fight with him to avoid being bred. So i do have to separate him and her occasionally so she doesn't keep getting bred to. which is what i want to avoid having to do. My question is aside from increasing the protein in the feed, and the occasional separating, what can be done to help with the feather growth. As i have noticed no feather growth at all. Its been a good two months with no growth.

Feathers broke off from mating generally won't grow back until next fall and the yearly molt. You could possibly put a saddle on the one hen, but to me it's like punishing them to make a hen wear one.

Removing the rooster is the best thing. Many young roosters need to mature past their first adult spring in order for them to improve and settle. Once his young brain goes from just mating to reproduction, and protection, he will mate more hens. Right now he's just following his urges.

As long as there's no wounds a few bare feathers won't hurt a hen. It just doesn't look good. Things are gonna get worse before they get better as far as hormonal roosters. The increasing light stimulates reproduction, and all that comes from it.

Well at least there is hope. There is no broken skin so that's a plus. She just seems sore and makes a lot of noise when he mounts her. I try to avoid cooping or separating any of them from the rest. All of my chickens are free range and they do enjoy it. i guess i should try a hen saddle as well and see how she takes to it.

Back
Top Bottom