Over Broody goose question?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EmAbTo48, Feb 26, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have posted a few question on here about my Sebastopol Pair and me taking eggs from her for incubator and more then half not being fertile. Anyways, she refuses to leave her empty nest..... I have taken all her eggs she hasn't been laying anymore for a week now and she still sits on this nest all day all night! When I am out their feeding them and watering I get her off even though she doesn't want too and then she will run around grab food and water and she bolts back to the nest OR she stands at the entrance waits till I leave and bolts back in because she knows then I can't kick her off lol!

I am thinking this is why none of her eggs are fertile she doesn't move. There is no eggs for her to sit on yet she sits. Its like my stuborn silike chickens that will do this every year just sit on nothing....

Will she get out of this funk?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poor girl, can you completely close her out of the house so she can't get to the nest? or is your weather to bad right now? I had to literally remove the nest box last fall when my bantam frizzle absolutely refused to get off, none of the other nest interested her just this one so when i removed it she came to her senses.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    There nesting boxes are also their shelter from our weather so I wouldn't want to block her and her mate out of it. Its nice right now 30s but it will be dropping again to teens this weekend and more snow.

This darn weather has really put her into a funk she started laying the very beginning of January which is NUTS for us up here! She laid 12 eggs so far and I have taken all of them for incubation but 75% of them were unfertile so no luck at all with that. And now no eggs and shes set on broodying nothing... BLAH! lol

I am thinking a few goslings from them is not going to happen this year. Think I will wait a week or two keep kicking her off and see if she will start laying again or might consider buying some hatching eggs and put them under her.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    All you can do is keep at it, and maybe getting the hatching eggs will help, I mean if she's that dedicated why not. [​IMG]

5. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Maybe I should close up the entrance during the nice days like today... They have lots of hay to lay on.. all the rest of my geese stay out of then boxes all day long... hmmm I think I am going to go do that lol

Then I can open it back up for night time

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] good plan, or hatching eggs, [​IMG]

7. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    My goose still is just sitting lol! No eggs yet from her. I have went ahead and order 8 eggs for her and I am contemplating getting 4 cotton patch to put under her also. Is 12 eggs to much for her to brood correctly? I want the best chances of hatching of course so don't want to give her to many....

What do you think? Leave it at 8 eggs or could she do 12?

Thanks!!!!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well you may just want to put 12 under and see how she covers them, Since i haven't had this problem yet or blessing depending on how you see it, I'm not sure how many eggs a goose can hatch. Hopefully someone else who has done this can help before the eggs arrive. Keep us updated.

9. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks! I have decided to incubate 4 eggs and leave 8 under her..You haven't had a goose go broody? I just feel bad she has to wait till the week of the 11th till they will be here so I hope she stays broody... She has made a nice nest though very pretty with lots of her feathers and hay poor girl! I have been shooing her off daily to make sure she is eating a drinking at least a bit. But she is getting even more aggressive towards me with that nest not sure if I will be able to keep that up. Just so strange to me! Wonder what she will think once 8 eggs magically appear for her? [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you give her some other eggs to sit on for the time being? like duck or chickens? and no I have only had my goose since last August and she is just now 11 months old has laid 16 eggs and not the least bit interested in sitting. Looking forward to hearing about how your goose is doing and when hatch day comes.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by