Over crowded a little???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by moodlymoo, Oct 11, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I have 17 pullets, 3 who sleep on to of the nesting box and the rest who all sleep together IN 1 nest box. My nest boxes are corner cabinet units turned on their side. I dont have the heart to kick them out since they love sleeping together. They have a ton of roost space but no body wants to sleep there.

[​IMG]

2. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Just make sure that no one is on the bottom of a pile. I lost a hen to that a while ago, its better to take out the boxes till they roost than loose birds IMHO

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    It's so cute when they're little, but not as cute when they're adults and will draw blood to fit in the nesting boxes [​IMG] I had the hardest time moving them up when they were little, but got ruthless after a couple late comers wound up with bloody combs. Fortunately they seemed to figure out perching on their own, and now it's not an issue. Really cute photo though!

4. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Well I would never want my girls to get hurt so I will start putting something in there at night. All can get to the roost but 1 so I may give them a little more time. Thanks for the heads up I really appreciate it as this is my first time with chickens

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    yes very cute pic.....but i would put a stop to it as well....mine did the pig pile in the corner when they were young....
    i kept the nest boxes closed off till they needed them....i went in the coop for a few nights and would put each of them
    on a roost....they would stay there all night and finally got the hang of it and stopped sleeping in the corner!

6. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I would but I have surgery tomorrow so I wont be in the coop for a week or so. I will talk to my son and convince him to do it for me. Will they stay warm enough though? I worry because it is getting pretty cold here

7. goldies99

Jul 22, 2011
    are they fully feathered???...that is the same thing i worried about....and yes i think they will be fine (if they have feathers)
    they all snuggled up on the post together!......good luck with your surgery!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  8. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    all but 1 and she is my little cochin. She is so small compared to the rest to so I worry most about her.

9. goldies99

Jul 22, 2011
    can you bring her in at night (and maybe one of her friends)....and then back out to the coop in the morning??....
    thats what i did when i thought the night may be too cold,,,then back out in the morning and all day!

10. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    how old are they? And as long as they have their back feathers they should be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by