Over drinking?

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
I have a hen(Jet) who has been drinking way too much lately and I can't work out why? Other than possible boredom as she has been inside for a while because of her having bumblefoot and needs TLC away from my other two because my little brat of a bantam has freaked out a few times when the Jet my hen with bumblefoot has issues with her foot and lays down lots. Extreme bullying from the Bantam on Jet when Jet tries to rest her foot. It has been a cycle of Jets bumble acts up Bantam freaks out on her, we bring Jet inside and soak her foot and let her rest and then once she up and about bantam is fine with her again until her foot acts up again.

I am using a soup cup as a water dish she had drunk all the water from last night over the few times she woke up at night. It was full and now I am a tad worried this type of water consumption isn't normal. She shouldn't have been overheated one-bit last night as it was honestly cooler then if has been typical been?

Her poo looks normal colored other hen being watery! Any input would be great I am worried about Jet.

Also, my bantam treats Jet normally as long as she is moving around, Bantam has had issues with anything she sees as a target in the little flock of three since she got attacked by a cat when trying to nest.

Over consumption of water could indicate a crop disorder. Chickens often drink a lot of water when they have an obstruction in their crops. You need to determine if your hen has an impacted crop by feeling it now and then checking it again first thing in the morning. You may need to treat it to dissolve the clog. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If your hen is behaving normally apart from drinking too much water, it may just be that she likes to drink water. I have a hen who has always drunk a lot of water to the point that her poop is always runny. She was this way from the day I brought her home from the feed store seven years ago. She's been normal in every other respect, never being sick a day in her life, and is still laying eggs regularly.

As for the bantam being a bully when this hen starts to favor her injured foot, try smacking her on the butt with a fly swatter each time you see her do it. I've found this very simple method of discipline works fast to stop bad behavior. After they get swatted a few times, all I need to do is show them the swatter and the bad behavior stops.

Thank you, tonight I will remove food and water and check her in the morning. Hopefully, it is a clog or just her wanting to over drink liquids since I haven't pinpointed any other odd behavior.

I will also try the swatting. Though I dunno if it will work with Lulu. I might need to bring her inside after I work out what is wrong with Jet.

As well as checking her crop can you also check her abdomen ie between her legs. A bird that is dehydrated will drink lots and if she is haemorrhaging that could make her dehydrated. Compare with a healthy chicken to know what normal feels like.

As regards her bumblefoot are you sure that is what it is? Have you seen and removed the scab and core? It sounds like you just soak for a few days and rest her and then let her back out. Apologies if I picked hat up wrongly.

Thank you, tonight I will remove food and water and check her in the morning. Hopefully, it is a clog or just her wanting to over drink liquids since I haven't pinpointed any other odd behavior.
As well as checking her crop can you also check her abdomen ie between her legs. A bird that is dehydrated will drink lots and if she is haemorrhaging that could make her dehydrated. Compare with a healthy chicken to know what normal feels like.

As regards her bumblefoot are you sure that is what it is? Have you seen and removed the scab and core? It sounds like you just soak for a few days and rest her and then let her back out. Apologies if I picked hat up wrongly.

I checked the first as we're already managing a chicken with ascites(we self-drain her when she needs it as she is still happy).

Also, I am sure it is bumblefoot she went to the vet for it, and we have had to open it up since the main infection was treated. It becomes blister like at times and it is just clear liquid inside. Now she just has this irritating callus on her foot we have to soften and remove every few weeks. At least in the dry summer. Also, I don't mind you asking if I am sure what is going on! It shows you care. Her treatment plan was cleared with our vet she said it would be an ongoing health management thing for Jet. As Jet is a pet we don't mind. We only open out the bumble if it super swollen and irritated.

Back
Top Bottom