Over due for start of hen laying eggs and problem with old hen eating feathers

Yuki

Songster
5 Years
Sep 13, 2017
Okay hello. I need help my 6+ Belgium bearded Bantam hen has not laid eggs at. I don't have a problem if she doesn't lay eggs cuz she'll live longer. I'm only concerned if this could be a health issue.

The other problem.
I have 2 almost 6 yr old hens both of whom are separated. My comet old hen of eating feathers right off her younger hens. She has plenty of enrichment and gets enough protein. She's the top hen but I tried switching my old hens to opposite sides. I can't have the old hens together due to the fact the other old hen gets teased by her and sheneeds easy access to food with not bring chased away becuz she's under weight because she has ovarian cancer. But my comet hen had never been pecked back on. She had the shit scared out of her by the bigger marans becauseshe pecked back and also did defensive display of leg attacking. Not she's freaking screaming and running from the maran. This is even if the maran just goes near her. She's almost gotten her self hurt from this and keep jumping ontop of the coop and won't eat. I tried the see but no touch method she's ding the same thing. When I tried putting her in the coop with m the others hens She screamed out for her flock she is familiar with and wouldn't stop pacing. I can't get her to stop this habit. Also my flock doesn't free range cuz of predators but they have enough room to range in an enclosed area. I didn't have the heart to to put my old comet hen through that pain of being without her flock. I've never heard a chicken call out so desperately like that and I'm in vet tech school rn and have tons of experience with chickens. I'm worried the stress will kill her or a heart attack will occur cuz of the stress since sheis so old. Rehoming is not an option. I don't know what to do please help me.

6 months is roughly 24 weeks, and chickens usually start laying around week 18. I do not have experience with that breed, maybe she is just taking longer than the others? Can you post pictures? The she might be a he, but if you haven't seen her crow by now it's probably a pullet.

You can use dog food for protein, I recommend giving them more than what you are now if they are still feather picking. They could also be bored--you can hang a head of cabbage from somewhere in their pen and that will give them something to pick at instead.

Is it just one hen picking on the other? If so, I would separate the mean one and leave the other one with the rest. If it is multiple picking on one and she freaks out in solitary confinement, and even the see don't touch method, then unfortunately you will probably have to rehome. Unless, maybe, you can put her in her own pen with two or three friendly hens to keep her company. How long did you try keeping her separate when she could still see the others? I have had to separate hens and have had them freak out, but after a couple of hours they were okay and accepted it.

Ummm it may be boredom. I've tried everything. She keeps pacing all day. She's never been pecked at before and I'm concerned. Also I heard cabbage. I've been giving them 2 hand full of dried meal worm daily. She is will 3 silkies and 2 Bantam in a 10 by 10 dog keneling with the coop inside. I've tried everything. Alsothe Bantam h
20191217_112102.jpg
as never crowed. She was being humped by roosters as well. Plus there is no signs of her breeding with the other Bantam hen. 20190920_182041.jpg
20190920_182041.jpg

Looks like a hen, but hard to tell. Can you get some clearer pictures of her back/side?

I'd probably cut back on the mealworms and give them healthier snacks like veggies. Too many can make them fat and lead to difficulty laying. Mealworms are like a once per week snack :)

Maybe give it a few more days. She just needs to adjust. Eventually she'll accept her house-mates as her flock but it might take a while.

I can add more veggies to diet my hens are actually n not over weight from the meal worm. I'm in vet tech school is Ik how to manage.but I'll take the once a week advice during spring and summer. Btw when hanging cabbage I heard it cause them cause. Chickens can fart So out has a chance to kill them. I'm very hesitant of moving her to the other side because of her age and massive amount of stress it would cause he I worried it will cause a heart attack. I will try the see and no touch method for couple more days but I'm gonna have her sleep with her original flock at night cuz she can't sleep with the maran since she is so scared of her. Still got any other ideas? Also thanks for the advice.
Looks like a hen, but hard to tell. Can you get some clearer pictures of her back/side?

I'd probably cut back on the mealworms and give them healthier snacks like veggies. Too many can make them fat and lead to difficulty laying. Mealworms are like a once per week snack :)

Maybe give it a few more days. She just needs to adjust. Eventually she'll accept her house-mates as her flock but it might take a while.
0p

I can add more veggies to diet my hens are actually n not over weight from the meal worm. I'm in vet tech school is Ik how to manage.but I'll take the once a week advice during spring and summer. Btw when hanging cabbage I heard it cause them cause. Chickens can fart So out has a chance to kill them. I'm very hesitant of moving her to the other side because of her age and massive amount of stress it would cause he I worried it will cause a heart attack. I will try the see and no touch method for couple more days but I'm gonna have her sleep with her original flock at night cuz she can't sleep with the maran since she is so scared of her. Still got any other ideas? Also thanks for the advice.
0p
Hmm I have never heard of them having a problem with cabbage (rotten cabbage yes, never feed them the mushy brown bits). If you are concerned you can use iceberg lettuce instead.

Sleeping with the flock is a good idea. Can you separate the maran and a few of her friends instead of the bullied one?

Ummm no I
Hmm I have never heard of them having a problem with cabbage (rotten cabbage yes, never feed them the mushy brown bits). If you are concerned you can use iceberg lettuce instead.

Sleeping with the flock is a good idea. Can you separate the maran and a few of her friends instead of the bullied one?
can't then the other side would be crowded I do have Roman lettuce I'm gonna need to get more soon haha they will probably it the entire thing. The marans only pecked the comet once it was in response from the comet pecking the maran. Was funny to watch tho. But I feel bad for her.

Ummm no I

can't then the other side would be crowded I do have Roman lettuce I'm gonna need to get more soon haha they will probably it the entire thing. The marans only pecked the comet once it was in response from the comet pecking the maran. Was funny to watch tho. But I feel bad for her.
Okay, well just try the separation for a few more days and see how it goes :) hopefully everything works out ok. Oh yes, my hens LOVE lettuce too.

Back
Top Bottom