over eager roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdopler, Jul 27, 2010.

1. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    I have recently started letting my young girls out on the yard, the rooster (normally kept separate) chases them and although I feel they are too young for his advances he doesn't seem as concerned! He has also taken to the turkeys, that I thought were Male! is this normal young rooster behavior or are my toms maybe tom-girls?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How old is he? Young roosters tend to be obnoxious when they are teenagers and suffering from testosterone poisoning. It gets better. I can't comment on the turkey.
    I raised my roos with my hens, from day olds. The boys gave the girls fits when the hormones hit, but once the girls were on the same page, it all settled down. Now I count on my roo to keep his girls safe and he does a great job of it. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The obnoxious "teen" weeks are worst, until the roo reaches about 20 (or more) weeks of age. He can't think of ANYTHING else. Plus, he hasn't any finesse about it, either.

4. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    [​IMG] Ok that must be it.. He is about 16-17 wks old but the girls are only about 8 wks old or so ( thats Y I still keep him separate) and the turkeys are about the same age as my girls. I guess once they start laying it will be a bit easier. and the turkeys will be to large for him to chase by then [​IMG]

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I find my young rooster was very helpful in "sexing" my silkies for me! I bet those turkeys ARE girls! Let us know; I'm curious to see if he can tell which is which.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by