Over full crop in week old Favarolle chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissMaryMac, Mar 5, 2014.

1. MissMaryMac

MissMaryMac Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    My Favarolle chick is about a week old, and today I noticed that she had developed a bulge at the base of her neck on her chest. At first I thought tumor, but now I'm thinking it's probably her crop. They're on medicated chick starter, they have grit in the brooder as well, always fresh water. I've noticed before that she's often still at the food dish even after the rest of the little flock is done eating.
    Do I just wait it out? Is there something I can do to help? This is my very first foray into chicken raising, so this is all completely new to me.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her crop every few hours to make sure it is soft and goes down, especially after a long sleep like at night. They don't need the grit until they eat foods other than chick starter, and I would wait until they are a few weeks old for that. She may be eating the grit or pine shavings, so just keep watch that the crop is not hard or impacted.

3. MissMaryMac

MissMaryMac Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    And if it does harden and doesn't go away, is there something I can do?

4. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Gently massage her crop with oil, and loosen up the blockage so it can go down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by