1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Over heated chick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sylviaanne, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Picked up a chick today and brought it home and put in a cage outside assuming it had access to being outside everyday but I don't know. I don't know how long from previous home to me but I have not seen it drink any water.

I put water and food in the cage, I did see him eat. Checked on him just now and found he is over heated. I brought him in and wet his feet, then used my wet hand to wet his head and waddles. Used the sprayer to wet his back and his head went to lolling so I turned him over and sprayed his belly and chest. If anything he seemed worse. I completely wet him down and have him wrapped in a towel in my lap. I am afraid of him getting chilled.

I tried to get him to drink acv in water with an eye dropper but if he drank any, I couldn't tell it.

What do I do now?

The cage was in shade.

If he's talking but not trying to get away, does that mean he's feeling a bit better?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. willber2000

willber2000 Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    to get him to drink something if he eats then put water in his food then when he eats he will at least get some water and i dont think that means hes better or worse

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    How old is this chick?

4. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Right around 4 months. He is up and moving around now. He didn't eat the wet food but he did eat a little mashed yolk. I have water with a bit of acv near him but I haven't seen him drink and if I try to dribble it on the side of his beak, it's like he clamps his bill shut. He was sitting on my kitchen floor, it's tile and then he stood for a long time, then he wandered a bit but mostly he just stands still looking around. We are in the living room now, this floor is cement, it used to be a carport. The water is near him and he is standing near where I put him down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: