Over heated What would you do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wowmanacat, Jul 11, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I had one of my laying chickens get over heated so I picked her up(which she really will not let you do) moved her to where the hose was and started to run water over, under and on her. This helped so now she is in the house in a pet taxi recouping. What would you do to help a over heated chicken?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. chickensRcute

chickensRcute Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    DeBeque
    I would cool them with water under the feathers and get them to drink by putting water in their beak. I would also move them to somewhere cooler. It sounds like you did the right stuff. Don't worry!

3. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    She is doing really good and is going to be staying in the house for the day since it is going to be just as hot or hotter out there today. Funny thing is DH does not mind if I bring chickens into the house to help save them. He said I did the right thing bring her in side.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

May be a good idea to keep a roasting pan (sorry, seems inappropriate, I know) full of very cold water near the coop/run for an emergency dip of an overheated bird.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:x2- I've been adding lots of ice to mine a few times a day for my poor cochins. I've also given them some frozen watermelon and today they've got some frozen strawberries and blueberries to look forward to. Good luck!

6. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Sounds like you did the right thing. I sometimes dip my birds that are in distress in a bucket with cold water (with just the head above the water) and let them soak for a few minutes to cool them down quickly. Then if I try to get them to eat some ice cold watermelon. Be careful when you move the hen back outside from the cool house. It will be more prone to get over heated again until it gets adjusted to the outside temps.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    My house is not that cool at all for I can not stand it. It will be around 80° to 85° later today in my house but it will be over 100° outside in the heat of the day. i have a pan of water out there for them to wade in. I was just wanting to see if anyone would bring there chicken in the house after all that.

8. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Quote:This is a great idea but all my chickens free range, but they do stay close to the house in the heat of the day, we are going to make a chicken play area with a mister and puddles for them.

9. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Thelma the hen that got over heated is doing good and I keep a good eye on all of my chickens now that I have 27 total out free range. They find shade and all the water pans I have for them. Thelma has stop lay for the time and I am ok with that since she tried to go broody after I took her back outside.

10. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    WATERMELON (Frozen too:) Lots of water and Ice and drape white material on run and coop to reflect heat and also spraying roop with water hose will drop temp inside coop big time. Fans too they like a breeze be careful of blades though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by