Over in Lox, Fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jkm0518, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jkm0518

Jkm0518 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey there yall. I am new to byc and just got some of my first chickens. Me and my wife just bought a house on almost 2 acres and we both wanted chickens so I got 2 hens and a rooster to start out with and she got 4 chicks from the county fair. We have had them since sunday. I actually just read one of the threads about how it aint a good idea to mix age groups so that was my first mistake. Can anyone direct me to some threads that I should go over? I am trying to hit everythng I can but there are quite a bit of threads to go through.I already read through the getting started raising chickens. Anything else I should hit? Thanks yall

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Click on 'Forums' at the top of the page and go to "Raising backyard chickens" - that's a great place to start. Also feel free to ask any questions that you need answered.

5. Jkm0518

Jan 27, 2013
    Thank you all of you, and yes that is what I am doing as we speak. Any specific advice for a newbie?

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jkm0518, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! For your mixing birds of different ages you might type in searches in the search such as "integrating new birds" or "adding new birds." Should get a lot of responses. Good luck to you!

7. Jkm0518

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks. I have been browsing through there. I have found the answer actually in several threads. Thanks for that, I am trying to get all the nessecary info asap as I am new to this. I've gotta say, there is quite a bit of info on here. This seems to be the one-stop-shop for all the info that I would ever need. I am glad I found yall![​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Make your coop twice as big as you think that you are going to need. These critters are addictive.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi! [​IMG] from S. Florida, not far from you! You must have gone to the South Florida Fair? I wanted to go this year too, but don't know if I'll make it or not! Its great to have you here with us!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Have you looked at the Learning Center yet? There's some great info there. Also when you do a search look at the "articles" in the results. There are some amazingly informative articles here written by our members.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by