1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

(((Over-Mating Rooster....)))

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlovefever, Jul 20, 2011.

1. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I have a super nice rooster, and 9 hens to go along with him. All of the hens' backs are as red as fire,feathers gone, and look like they hurt. I am guess they are over mated? I can't invest in getting them all aprons, and i have no way to separate them. Would it help if I removed the rooster's spurs? Is that what is tearing my hens up, his spurs? Or what? I would really like to help the ladies out, and I am no longer collecting eggs to incubate.

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    1 roo to 9 hens, and they are still being over mated? Wish I had an answer for you. [​IMG] All I can really say is "wow, im speechless"

How old are they? and what breeds?

3. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    I Now they are all at LEAST a year old. But the Roo is a EE. Only 2 of the hens barely have any damage, but they still don't look descent. It saddens me to look at them. And the others, their backs are red and almost bald. I love the rooster though, and I'd really want to keep him. I have a plan to separate him from the hens, but it would be a while before i draw this plan out. I have a rather smll run, with a house and then the run (About the size of two cars side by side) and I have like 40 chicks that i plan on keeping, but i wnt turkeys too, but they wontbe allowed to get out, so i was going to build another little place for my hens to roost and a biger run for all of my hens, and then just put the turkeys and rooster in the pen i have them in now.
    I was just wondering if de-spurring him would help.

4. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    In my experience it wasn't his spurs that were doing the damage so much as his nails. I'm not sure if you can cut them but if you can I would try that for now but separation is def the best thing.

5. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Do you trim his nails?
    I trim and file my boys' nails.

Making a back protector is easy. The ones we make ourselves are less durable than the ones you can buy but it can give your hens some relief. Grab an old blanket or go the the store and pick up a remnant for cheep and cut a square out about the length and width of your hens. The cloth should be durable and heavy and fray free if you are not sewing it. Fleece works good. Then in the first one, cut oval slits where you think the wings should go through - this will be tighter than you think. Put it on a model and let her walk around a little. Next day, pick up the cover you made, since you would have likely made the wing holes either too far apart or to large and she wiggled out of it, and adjust the hole on the next one you make. Dress another model and repeat. You'll get it with patience. I can sew and have 1 nice, proffesional made apron. No, I cannot duplicate it but mine work just fine for a few months and then we "change outfits" to another color of remnant material.

6. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    I guess I could try that out. Thankyou. And do you breed Americaunas?

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I had the same thing with my Wyandottes. 10 females and 1 male and they were all over-mated.

Hen aprons are only $3 apiece.

I've heard you can use duct tape, but I've never tried it.

Trim his nails and remove his spurs.

Or separate him.

Or get more females.

Just ideas. [​IMG]

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:Well yes, but..I have AmerAUcanas and......I'd like to say my roosters do the breeding... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] I have to admit, that was a pretty funny one [​IMG] And I have one beautiful EE Rooster of my own, and just one hen, but I like Mix breeding my chickens...... I think it's neat never knowing what im gonna get. But I'm thinking about getting some more EEs, I just love 'em........

10. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    Quote:May I ask, where exactly do you get Aprons??? I think I could do $21 for my 7 wacked chickens...... And sorry, I just don't know how to spell right [​IMG] AMericaunas, Ameraucanas, Amaraucaunas, I've spelt it all......... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by