Over ovulating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jaspa, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jaspa

Jaspa New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    I have 3 hens and one of them is a Columbian Blacktail. For the last few months she has been laying more than one egg a day. Recently over a period of 36 hours she laid five eggs. Not all of them have shells, just a membrane, but the eggs are perfect. She can spend many hours of the day rather glum while waiting for the eggs to pop out. She is eating and drinking, when not laying an egg and seems a happy girl when its all over, but unfortunately it starts all over again all too quickly. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm concerned that this is tiring her out and not doing her any good at all. I love her to bits.
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Wow, yes, I'm sure it is tiring her out. I might be tempted to house her in a dark place for a week or two to try and stop her laying cycle, but, I don't know if there is any real fix for it...

3. Jaspa

Jaspa New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Thanks for replying, I'm afraid my girls mean the world to me and I cannot be cruel to be kind. I'll just have to give her extra cuddles.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Your only other option is to take her to a vet that will "spay" her and keep her as a pet afterward. But this is costly!!

I don't mean total darkness, but low light and short days. Perhaps with another hen who is molting for company (if you have one).

5. liz13

liz13 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    I'm not glad you have the same problem, but I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat. I hate to have to shut her away in the dark we have been waiting so long for good weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by