Over population of Muscovy ducks

Mira123

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
OK, so I didn't know how rapidly Muscovy ducks propagate. We started out with 3 feral Muscovy ducks at our new home. Soon there were 13. Then 38. Then 75. Then 98. Personally, I enjoy them, but my neighbor does not, so we're reducing the population by capture and re-homing. We make a point to find out if they're going to simply be released into another area and don't allow those people to have them. They have all gone to people raising them in pens for the eggs predominately. I'm sure a few were cooked too. We've given over 60 away, but we still have way too many. I like the ducks, but don't have to have them. I have to live next door to my neighbor and she's simply angry about them. They come into her yard and ruin her plants. She chases them off with her Gravely, but of course they return. This morning I saw her dumping loads of bleach into the large puddles. I think it's her intention to poison them. I don't like that at all, but not much I can do other than speed up the relocating. The buggers are hard to catch though. Any good suggestions?

I'd make getting rid of your drakes the highest priority. Following that, you have to decide just how many you actually WANT to keep, and build a fully fenced-in pen with a roof for them that they stay in. And then keep whittling down your flock to the target number. I know they're tough to catch but you just...have to....there is no other way.

I can imagine your neighbors frustration with them in her yard - that really is your responsibility as all these offspring of the original 3 are not wild/feral

Bleach is definitely a terrible way to go about it though. I'd reach out to her and inform her that you do understand her issues and you are taking steps to remedy the problem, she doesnt need to take things into her own hands and kill the birds. If shes not receptive to that you can try informing the authorities - you're not supposed to poison any animals, wildlife or other peoples pets, and youre also not supposed to just dump chemicals into your backyard either.

Yeah you should make a post on here to see if anyone on here wants them. But we would need to know where you are. I live in Florida and here there is a rescue for specifically Muscovy ducks and they tend to just go places where people complain about them a lot and relocate them to areas where people want them. But I'd say definitely buy yourself a nice big net.

Fencing is the only way to keep them home. I feel awful your neighbor is trying to poison them its very cruel what she is doing. You need to keep them on your property. It's like letting your dog out each day so it can go onto your neighbors lawn and poop and or dig up their plants, Fencing makes good neighbors. Sorry hate being mean. Muscovy are like rabbits they propagate fast so to keep the population down to minimum eggs need to be taken up every day. Muscovy are much hated in parts of the country because they multiply so fast. They are considered a nuisance and are killed because of it. Only wild Muscovy are the ones protected in Texas which are migratory all other started out with someone and either flew away or were dumped so now there is a huge population of them. I hope if you decide to keep any you'll fence them in clip flight feathers and take up eggs so you don't go through this again.

I have a net, but it's a large dip net. I think I need the rubberized one. I have a little "hut" in the back of the property where we throw their feed and we've caught 20 in there. However, they're getting wise to us and won't go in now till we leave. I too am in FL. Can you give me the name of the rescue? Fish and Wildlife will have nothing to do with them.
Here is their website
https://www.duckhaven.net/

Also I know some SPCAs take ducks

Last edited:
Fencing is the only way to keep them home. I feel awful your neighbor is trying to poison them its very cruel what she is doing. You need to keep them on your property. It's like letting your dog out each day so it can go onto your neighbors lawn and poop and or dig up their plants, Fencing makes good neighbors. Sorry hate being mean. Muscovy are like rabbits they propagate fast so to keep the population down to minimum eggs need to be taken up every day. Muscovy are much hated in parts of the country because they multiply so fast. They are considered a nuisance and are killed because of it. Only wild Muscovy are the ones protected in Texas which are migratory all other started out with someone and either flew away or were dumped so now there is a huge population of them. I hope if you decide to keep any you'll fence them in clip flight feathers and take up eggs so you don't go through this again.
I'd love to fence them in, but they're really not "tame" enough to even attempt that. And you weren't being mean. You're absolutely right that fencing makes good neighbors. And my property is fenced, but the little buggers either fly over the fence to her yard or climb through it. (field fence). We are taking up the eggs every day that we can find any and continue to try to catch 2 or 3 at a time to rehome them with people who love duck eggs. I was appalled when I saw her dumping the clorox in the puddles they like to dabble in. I know I caused the problem, and am trying to fix it. Wish she'd just be a little more patient.

I'd make getting rid of your drakes the highest priority. Following that, you have to decide just how many you actually WANT to keep, and build a fully fenced-in pen with a roof for them that they stay in. And then keep whittling down your flock to the target number. I know they're tough to catch but you just...have to....there is no other way.

I can imagine your neighbors frustration with them in her yard - that really is your responsibility as all these offspring of the original 3 are not wild/feral

Bleach is definitely a terrible way to go about it though. I'd reach out to her and inform her that you do understand her issues and you are taking steps to remedy the problem, she doesnt need to take things into her own hands and kill the birds. If shes not receptive to that you can try informing the authorities - you're not supposed to poison any animals, wildlife or other peoples pets, and youre also not supposed to just dump chemicals into your backyard either.
^^^x2 try to communicate clearly with the neighbor and outline what you’re doing about the situation. Poisoning the puddles with bleach is going to wreak havoc on the environment! Really, really not ok. She is going to kill a lot of other non nuisance animals too.

Maybe a hav-a-heart trap, if you make it look like a good nest box you might get the hens. Also If you have not yet, try catching them at night, birds don't see well in the dark.
Those ducks may not see well at night, but they sure do know where the water is! The minute you go out there in the dark you hear a rush of wings and water splashing as they hit the water. We have a 1/2 acre farm pond. I've tried the live animal traps. Little buggers go in there and stretch out their necks for the food and totally miss the spring. They just saunter right on out.

I wish you the best on rehoming and coming to a solution with your neighbor. I am so thankful I don't have any close. People think nothing of letting their dogs bark 24/7 but boy don't let a duck come into their yard. Been there many years ago with dogs our neighbors at that time had. :duc

Back
Top Bottom