over run with stones

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kerroppi76, Aug 5, 2011.

1. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    Hi, we are still building our coop, hopefully to have it complete this weekend since the girls are way too big for their rabbit cage. THe area we are puttint he coop on is a 12 X 12 are that used to home ducks. Once the Ducks were gone my dad had broke up the concrete and added a ton of stones for drainage. We have leveled out the are as best as possible and added dirt. It has been packed dowa bit now just by use walking on it. Do I need to worry about the chickens digging up the stones and getting hurt? Should I add sand on top of it? The run is closed on the top and we plan on added a tarp or some kind of roof to help keep most of it dry but sooner or later I am sure it will get wet. Should I put hay or straw down? Also the neighbor's behind me have posion ivy that growns through my fense near where the coop/ run are going, is that danagerous for chickens?

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    are the stones very sharp? if so than I would definitely cover them with some sort of ground cover (straw, hay, wood shavings, sand) if not than I don't see any reason to worry, my chickens play around in a big mound of round stones in my back yard all the time and I've never had any problems. as for the poison Ivy I would definitely ask your neighbor to do something about it, having your chickens eat or touch that stuff would not be a fun experience for you or your birds.

3. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Round up that ivy before the chicks or you get to it![​IMG]

4. kerroppi76

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    thanks the stones are not sharp just the genric gray gardening stones. WE did cover them with soil but today is raining and it is flooded back there. Should I lay sand on top?
    THe Ivy is gone after the DH and 4 year old son recovered from it.

5. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    although it is not necessary I'm sure your chickens would appreciate some sand on top of the stones.

6. Toothless Willie

Toothless Willie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    If drainage is poor, then sand is a good idea. It also reduces the chicken poop odor. We re-apply an inch or two of sand in our runs every couple of months, at least in the heat of summer and notice less odor, no flies, and the girls love to nestle down and take a sun bath in it.

7. kerroppi76

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    thanks everyone . . . THe sand should help with the drainage will it also work for their dust baths?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by