Over run with superworms!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gagroundhog, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Gagroundhog

Gagroundhog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    So I was wondering how many superworms can we give per chicken or Muscovy duck per day? We use them for treats already but we have soooo many superworms if I could give them more and maybe more than once a day to use them up. We have plenty more coming along. I did just a weee bit to good a job with these superworms! LOL They really produce very well! The only other option I can see is to freeze and chunk them. I hate to waist them.
    Any ideas welcome. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What are you feeding as a regular food? Could you feed a lower protein food and supplement more with them if you have so many extras? How many worms per ounce? They are about 50/40% protein/fat, so do need to watch the fat, especially with laying hens. If the average chicken eats 4-5 oz of feed a day and you went for example with 1/2 oz of worms and 3.5 oz of 16/3% food you are at 20.25/7.6% ... 1/4 oz per bird (or about the 10% they recommend sticking with for treats to not upset the ration balance that much) you are at about 18/5.3%, can't see that hurting them.
    Not sure if you have seen this site, but it has some directions for freezing/roasting them for storage in the freezer.
    http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm

3. Gagroundhog

Gagroundhog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    Thank you Kelsie! My Daughter feeds her chickens, they get mixture of grains and laying pellets and the adult Muscovies get grains with some layer pellets mixed in. The ducklings are still eating starter. So far we've only given them as a treat so we will watch that nobody gets to heavy. I'll have to count again but if memory serves me correctly there are about 40-50 superworms per 1/4 cup. I'll figure out how many in an ounce tomorrow. That should be interesting, they are so wiggly. LOL
    Thank you! That's the most mealworm/superworm info I've seen in one spot! I'm going to enjoy going through it all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by