Over Sexed Roo Question????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shiningfeather, May 9, 2009.

1. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I have some pullets that are just at 3 months old and some that are 2 months old. There is a considerable size difference in them so I have them in different pens for their safty. My husband decideded it was time for the older ones to go with the adults we have since some are as big as them. Well, he placed them all together and the rooster then tried to mate with the younger girls even tho they are not laying eggs at this point. Needless to say....mama hen...me, as these are my first babies I raised from day old intervened each time I was there and saw it. My babies looked so scared and tramatized I could not stand to leave him in there and removed him. My husband said it is just the nature of things and to leave them be.....I told him there was going to be rooster noodle soup if he, the rooster was not removed, soI got my way.

Long story to ask did I do the right thing? When will my girls start laying? And why would the roo want to mate with babies that are not even laying at this point? Thanks.....as you can tell I was a little stressed about the whole thing....Maybe I need to go on vacation when the girls need to be put back with the roo so I don't have to see them being raped by the roo.

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:They are a little young to be bombarded by a randy cockerel. The male for his part doesn't care - he will mate a bowling ball bag if it holds still. He is a true Force of Nature.
    They can go back with the group when they are within three weeks or so of laying. As for rape... well, I agree: You had better look the other way.

3. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Thanks, what age do you think they will start laying?? They are 3 months old.

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    they start laying around 5-6 months of age! I have the same thing going here, mine will be at point of lay at the end of June and I won't put them in the adult pen yet for the same reason!

5. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Thanks....so we have atleast 2 more months to wait.... [​IMG] I hate waiting for them to start....some are already as big or bigger as my american game adults.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mating them is also his way of dominating them and bringing them under his control.
    It might be best to keep them away from him for a little while longer, but at some point you are going to have to let nature run its course...and look the other way.

7. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I guess I'm lucky - my EE roo will only mate the girls who are already laying or are point of lay. The younger girls just don't seem to interest him in that way, and when he does start mating them he doesn't traumatize them. ... Which all goes to explain why his brothers went to freezer camp and he's running around enjoying the sunshine.

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Just an FYI, so you aren't shocked (if applicable of course)...most hens lay between 5-6 months as Mourningdove had stated, but if your chicks were from a hatchery (either directly or via a feed store), they may lay earlier. My 3 Barred Rocks and 3 EEs all laid between 16-18 weeks. Just thought I'd let you know just in case a surprise egg shows up. (We marked on our calender when 5 mos would hit...our first egg was 4 weeks before. Talk about a shocker!). [​IMG]

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Wait for the comb and wattles to redden sharply, and suddenly seem to enlagre.
    Then place your fingers across the hens rear, between her pubic bones. When a hen is about to lay, you will be able to fit 2-3 fingers between them.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    It is time for soop, I am sorry to say this I can't stand roosters, I cooked all my roosters and I will never have one in my flock.

I know rooster's loves will get mad at me, but I am sorry I had to vent.

Omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by