Over the road truck driver.. is your hubby one??

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Hey all! Im Becca and my hubby of 5 years is a long haul over the road trucker.. i miss him something awful even though we talk several times a day... he is gone for weeks and sometimes more than a month at a time.... anyone else out there a 'trucker widow'?

Im assuming its quite normal to miss him, but i feel as though if i dont keep busy, ill go insane with out him!! soo to keep busy we have 4 Dairy does, 3 pygmy Does and a doeling of each of the pygmy and the dairy.. then the 11 miniature horses and 40 something chickens.. not the mention i have about 50 eggs in the bator.. pluse the shelties.... oh dont forget our 2 young daughters!! Kenzie is 5 and Kayla is 3 ( almost 4)

and of course i decided on a whim i would paint the ENTIRE inside of the house as all the walls were different colors of brown YUCK needless to say im trying my hardest to stay as busy as possible!!

I used to drive trucks coast to coast before I got married and had kids.

The worst part was missing family get togethers, holidays and the like. Otherwise it was a pretty good job, if you hadn't any kids or spouse. (or if your spouse rode with you).

I can see how having him gone so much would be horrible. My husband worked for an HVAC company that sent him to different states, sometimes, overnight or sometimes for a week (he got to come home on weekends). I loved having the whole bed to myself (I'm a sprawler
wink.png
) but I loved better having him home - even if he does steal the covers.

meri

i too love having the bed to myself... but would prefer him to be home... i dont like not having a warm body in bed with me so the shelties sometimes sleep with me.

this is his first year of driving since wee have been married. he didnt drive for the first 3 years cuz of my x causing issues... then i had brain surgery and he stayed home.. now that he has a regular job, im glad, but MAN do i miss him!! last year he missed Thanksgiving and christmas and our 5 year old daughters bday. he also missed easter
sad.png
we are hoping this year he can come home for at least thanksgiving and christmas eve and christmas.

we live out in the middle of nowhere and not many people are willing to come out to the 'johnson zoo' as my dad calls it...

my kids handle it a lot better than i do... of course it so does not help the fact that i am soo incredibly baby hungry and he is gone so much!! lol

Truckers normally dont stay married because of trust issues... i love my hubby and we call and talk at least 9 times a day! the money is great and although i miss him tons i dont think that a regular job would go well for us with the economy how it is right now.

My husband drives a truck *we've owned a few too*. After 23 years, I enjoy a few nights to myself. The most he will spend out on the road is 3 or 4 nights. I could understand if he was out for 4 weeks...I might miss him then.
wink.png

My husband drives a dedicated run so he is home approx. 2 nights a week and then either Sat or Sun night. I too love having the bed to myself and it makes me miss him when he is gone. We have been married for 22 years and I think the short absences bring us closer. We talk several times a day and really make the most of the time we are together.

It was harder when the kids were smaller. It felt like I was a single mom at times, but we made it through. He always sent the kids postcards from around the country and in the winter, my kids were the only ones to have snow. My husband would fill his cooler with snow on his way home and he and the kids would have snowball fights upon his return.

I know that doesn't sound like a big deal to many of us, but for kids here in the south who have never seen snow except on TV, it was a real thrill! Needless to say, all the neighborhood kids loved it when my husband came home.

thats what it feels like now too.. that im a single mom and he comes for visitations lol cept that his vists are much more fun usually than a x's would be ! LOL

My brother used to drive truck. I rode with him for a few weeks one summer. I loved it. I would have liked to have been able to drive team with him, but for health and other reasons that never happened.

DH drove for 20 plus years. He missed a lot with our kids growing up. It was tough having him on the road but I appreciate and am grateful for his hard work to support our family. It was truly hard work.

My dh is a OTR driver.He is home one weekend a month. The kids and I miss him,but without his hard work there would not be enough money for us even if we were both working locally.

If he can't make it home exactly on a holiday we just bump the holiday celebration over for when he IS home.

Back
Top Bottom