Over-the-top coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johanssonmel, Dec 31, 2014.

1. johanssonmel

johanssonmel In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    My apologies if there's already a thread dedicated to this; I'm a relative noob, and I looked around and couldn't find one.

I'd like to see people's pictures of their extravagant or fanciful coops or runs.

We built our coop using leftover materials from the various home improvement projects, and I endure a lot of eye-rolling from my kids for the ridiculous nature of the inside of my chickenhouse.

I started out pondering what would be an easy-to-clean surface for the poop deck, and realized we had lots of leftover tile from the renovation of a kitchen and two baths, and TBH from that point it just got away from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I was being a bit ridiculous until the guys across the street showed me the inside of their chickenhouse, which has--I kid you not--a crystal chandelier. Next time I'm over there I promise to take pictures.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just click on the coops tab right next to the forum tab at the top of the page. That's where they all are.

The chandelier will constantly need dusting, unless he only has a couple chickens.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've never thought ceramic tile was easy to clean, had it in one house...

.....never again....

...but it does look cool, keep this pic, it will never look better. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. johanssonmel

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    I just hose it down and squeegee it off every month or so. That's the only time I see it, actually--it's under litter the rest of the time.

5. dana0710

dana0710 Chirping

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    Really cute!!! I will try not to be jealous! :)

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I don't think mine is over the top but here it is anyway

[​IMG]
    The front with the lexan windows and gutter with leaf guard on. I have a motion sensor light that comes on when I am going to the coop so I do not slip and fall too.
    [​IMG]

I was still working on it in this one. I have added nest boxes and roosts of course. In this one I had not yet made the lexan windows.

There are 11 functioning windows on this little 8x14 beauty.

7. thismightbetim

thismightbetim Hatching

Mar 8, 2014
    if i post here, then i am admitting my coop is over the top.............which i have been telling the wife it isn't! (psst.....it is)

8. johanssonmel

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    That is the Waldorf-Astoria of chickenhouses right there.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Over the top in functionality is never a bad thing IMO.
    Ooooooo and 2 pop doors so you can partition the coop for integration/isolation!!! Brilliant!

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    We built the whole thing run and all so I could divide it if needed. I was worried about my bantams in with the big fat meanies. It is just painted with tinted primer inside since the weather turned before I could get the paint on it. I am proud of how it turned out.
    Even after I paint the inside a lighter color I still am calling it the green house lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: