1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

over weight dog is limping but losing weight what can i do to help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenmama109, Aug 14, 2018.

1. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    hi i have a lad mix that is over weight i took her to the vet and she is doing really good she has lost weight but she started limping after a walk that we took so i did not want her limp to get any worse so i let her take a break from the walks for a bit and it got better but know he is limping and she has not been on a walk so i think my bigger dog was trying to play alittle to rough and may have made her limp but im not sure so what can i do for her and her leg to make it fill better. thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where are you located? Has you dog been checked for Lymes disease? The main symptoms are shifting leg lameness, pain and lethargy.

3. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    thanks for the info but its just one leg and I took her to the vet not to long ago and she was health. thanks

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You can get some pain relievers from your vet to help your dog feel more comfortable. Heavier dogs are more prone to torn knees. If your dog doesn't improve with a few days of rest you should see your vet again.

chickenmama109 likes this.
  5. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    Thanks

6. mominoz

mominoz Songster 9 Years

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Fish oil supplements, MSM and glucosamine...devils claw, tumeric are all anti-inflamatory. There are some good chews on Amazon that will work well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: