1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Over wintering goldfish?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LegHorn-BusHorn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Goldfish from Wallyworld. My sister says to cut off their food slowly, keep the pump on and keep the water from freezing. She has kept hers this way for three years and they are alive in the spring. Sounds like a plan? Any other opinions?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sounds right to me. I haven't had any experience with goldfish and outdoor ponds but I know a little about goldfish. The reason you need to cut off their food slowly (and eventually all together stop), is because their metabolism slows as the water gets colder. If you keep feeding them all winter, then the food will just sit in their stomach and that can cause problems. I'm sure someone with more experience can help you, but for now, I would trust her judgement.

3. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    That is how I do ours! Same ones been around for 3 years.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    We usually stop feeding them once the water temp gets around 40 degrees. After that they usually feed off of the oxygenator plants (hornswort) that we have in the bottom. Our ponds are only 18" and we haven't had any trouble with our fish yet. I do however leave the pump on (I take off the fountain attachment so it's just the base) and leave that running to keep the ice from freezing. I also put a netting over the pond to keep the leaves and other debris out over the winter. Good luck, I'm sure they will do just fine.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

What everyone said. I stop feeding in the winter(below 40*). Their digestion is so slowed down that the food can rot in their guts. There are special foods for Spring & Autumn (40*-50*), but I've never used them. Even if you get a warm snap in the winter not a great idea to feed them unless you know the warm spell will last awhile. I keep the pump running to keep the water open. If it freezes on top it can deplete the O2. Be careful if the water freezes over you can pump all the water out in a short period of time. The fish won't like that much.
    FYI- Raccoons will go after fish.

Imp- I have friends in Eastern Washington (very cold) They turn everything off and let it all including the fish freeze solid. They only lose a few fish.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

So I have a couple of goldfish in a whiskey barrel "pond" would that work in it?

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it has to be pretty deep; my uncle had a gorgeous concrete fish pond, and I think it was more than 3 feet deep in the middle. He paid big bucks for koi, and they lasted quite afew years. The deeper the better, they can go to the bottom and not freeze.

8. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:unless it totally freezes solid. An airstone and filter should keep the water moving enough to prevent freezing (depending, of course, just how cold it gets!).

9. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yes, that's the way it works! I have also brought mine in over the winter and kept them in a swimming pool in the basement.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:unless it totally freezes solid. An airstone and filter should keep the water moving enough to prevent freezing (depending, of course, just how cold it gets!).

I've always just brought them in the house for the winter and shut off the pump and it does freeze solid. I guess I could try it and see how it goes. If the pump doesn't keep it from totally freezing up I'll net them out and bring them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by