Over Worried...What's the first tell tell signs of a Roo....?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moonchild, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Spartanburg,SC
    I know this topic has been discussed a hundred time, but i'm just over worried. my chicks will be 4 weeks on sunday and oh I just can't have a roo. Cause I will have to get rid of my chick that I have raised from day2ish...What are the first signs of a roo? and how does Bantams differ in size as the chicks go?(just wondering about that) in the picture they are 3 weeks? Its the BarredPlyRocks i'm worried about? Any Help will be appreciated...Ease my mind!!!

[​IMG]

in the pic is my 4orps and 3BR chicks...just love'em

Thanks!!!!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  3. j&j happychicks

j&j happychicks New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi I got 2 barred rocks side by side the rooster showed signs at about 4 to 6 wks watch there actions the rooster will behave different then the hens, head up lookin around while the hens will be huddled low, also the leg area, comb and chest will be thicker, but a good way to tell is the feathers, the barred rocks roosters tail and wing feathers go to a point while the hens are more rounded at the ends. You really need to give it some time.

4. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I have a very good picture of a male and female Buff Orp chicks. Its on my cell phone and I don't know how to get it on here. IF someone knows how I can send it to you. Seeing them side by side is very helpful.

5. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Lovely chicken...Hope it keep good...

6. Moonchild

Moonchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Spartanburg,SC
    Thanks Peeps!!I know I need to be patience...Only Time will tell!!! So I think I will have fun with them instead of worrying!!!!Thanks Again!

7. afinney

afinney Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Gainesboro, TN
    Not sure how reliable this is but my baby "girls" seem to always get their tail feathers first and the "boys" don't seem to get theirs until about 8 weeks and the "boys" combs seem to be really red from about 4 weeks on too....it's worked for me in the past

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by