Overactive hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I either have a very over active hen or an over active rooster. The last couple of days Bob has been mounting the same hen 3 or 4 times in the space of 30 minutes.She's not protesting at all. Now he's going after some of the other hens. What's going on? Why is he so carried away with himself? Could it be a typical teenager thing? [​IMG] I have 7 hens. I can't imagine if I had anymore. He'd probably kill himself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just my experience. First, roosters DO have favorites and ride them often. Secondly, their are hens that are too submissive and willingly submit to being his favorite. Sometimes this results in very poor health for that hen and sometime results in a couple of other hens not being adequately serviced.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This is the one that was settin and hatched the chicks. He did mess with her at all for over 2 months now he can't quit. [​IMG]

Thanks Fred.

4. LunaBella

LunaBella Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Somewhat related topic, when I enter my yard all my hens run up top me and kind of squat down in front of me. When i reach out to pet them they start to shake or quiver. What exactly are they doing & why?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Submitting for mounting. It means they are sexually mature, will laying soon, and wish to have a rooster fertilize them. Since you are a huge and fill the rooster roll in their for them, they are asking for it.

6. LunaBella

LunaBella Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Very interesting. Thanks for ending my curiousity.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Roosters go through a horny adolescent phase and eventually settle down to mounting hens only 50% of the time instead of 98% of the time.

When my pullets/hens "curtsy" for me, I give 'em a skritch between their shoulder blades, another at the base of their tail feathes, and a final pat on the middle of their backs, saying, "Good girl!". It makes them happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by