Overall chicken health in question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Junkybird, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Junkybird

Junkybird Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    Okay, I've read the organic sticky note at the top, which is marvelous, btw, but I still have a few questions. I have two sets of chickens, one year olds and 6 month olds. A few of the one year olds have much feather loss and seems smaller than the ones that are half their age. They seem skinny and their feathers are dull. The feather loss, I think, that i have narrowed that down to mites and lice which I have treated with 7 dust now three times. The first time I treated them, I didn't know that I was supposed to treat them again 10 days later. The second time and third time I got it right. I have seen black ones and little red ones. The red ones I've seen crawling on ME. I actually lost a one year old to these mite/lice before I knew that they could even die of the blood suckers [​IMG] Last year I had been using DE, but when I ran out of it, in the fall, I just never got any again. It was in the fall that the feather loss started. The feed and seed first thought it was a protein deficiency, but now I know better since I've actually SEEN the bugs.

So, with the mites/lice, do I have to keep dusting them every 10 days? How will I ever know if they are all gone? I have a lot of wood in the coop and don't know if I've dusted every nook and cranny with the seven and DE. I never wanted to use the seven dust anyway, but I just didn't know what my options were. Now, I see that many people use topical treatments on the back of the neck. This seems much easier to me. How many times do you put the liquid on the back? And, what is the generic name? Is there some sort of spray that I can apply to the inside of the coop? Or a paint or something like that? I've tried a paste of sulphur, but I don't feel it did much.

Now . . on to the skinniness and dull feathers. I am terribly afraid that they have worms. I have never de-wormed them at all. I just didn't know that I needed to. And now, I feel terrible about it. I haven't actually seen any worms in the poops, but I dread the day that I do. I think I've got it down that most people use piperazine/wazine and then follow up with fenbendazole or ivermectin. Are these injectable, or do you put it in the water? What is the dose? I just don't know if I should believe everything that the feed/seed people tell me anymore. Also, I read somewhere on another thread and the worms can get into the eggs. This is so disgusting, I haven't been able to eat any of my eggs for quite a while now, just thinking about contracting worms from my chickens! Is this for real? I know that there is a period, when after worming, that you can't eat the eggs, but if I have to worry about getting worms from my chickens when I don't even KNOW FOR SURE that hey have worms? I just don't know what to do. Please, somebody set me straight [​IMG]

One concern in the back of my head is our coop and hen house placement. Where it is located, then pen stays wet for days when it rains. I have river sand in the coop (which stays completely dry) and in the pen, but it seems to stay wet. All the wet conditions just seem to me to be a breeding ground for all sorts of diseases. We have contemplated moving the pen/coop, but this would be a huge undertaking.

Also, in the coop, our poop board seems to be too close to the lowest perch, so that some of the chickens roost on the board itself and not on the 2x4's. Should we lower it? I spread DE on it regularly, but it always seems wet and icky to me.

For overall health, I would like to do the following:
    get rid of all the mites/lice with--something
    worm them
    start giving ACV in the water
    pumpkin seeds/pumpkins
    cultured yogurt

Am I on the right track? Now that our garden is over, they are being let out of the coop/pen during the day. They only eat laying pellets, Cleveland brand. No scratch and no treats or people food. The feed and seed guy told me that they don't need anything else than the food. That it is made specifically for their nutritional needs. Crazy? I have so many vegetables/fruits that I could be giving them. I think that the told me this, mainly, when he thought that my problem was a protein deficiency.

Sorry for all the rambling. I've been so caught up in these chickens lately and feeling so guilty about all the things that I SHOULD be doing for them.

2. Junkybird

Junkybird Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    So, the following description from the "chickens with worms" recent post describes some of my birds:

they might show loss of weight even tho they eat.
    they might look "out of condition"
    droppings can change color and consistency..such as foamy
    egg production might drop

What a helpful post. I will most likely use the information from that post, unless somebody else has some more suggestions.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by