Overall meds for respritory illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Squishychicken, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    So when anyone has any respritory aided birds such as gurgly breathing. What does everyone do for an overall treatment? I've heard tylan 50.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    What do you use instead? I'm guessing you get testing done first.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, I suppose I do things differently than most people. I don't treat for any condition unless I know what malady I'm treating.
    If I have a sick bird, which is pretty rare, I send them to the vet college diagnostic lab.
    I had a lethargic hen die this week and I just got the preliminary diagnosis. It was a kidney problem.
    To be honest, I've never had a respiratory problem. I attribute that to huge windows always open.
    I usually have between 40 and 100 birds in 9 buildings.
    I was once tempted to treat a flock with messy vents for roundworms. Instead of treating I had a fecal sample read. They didn't have worms, they had a severe clostridial bacteria infection. Tetracycline cured it. I would have wasted a lot of time guessing.
    On a couple occasions I've injected a com-biotic for special circumstances.

5. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    So would giving them tylan without knowing what it has even if it gets the bird better does it do more harm then good?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Do you have one with a respiratory problem?
    If the bird gets better after treating with Tylan there is a good chance that the bird has mycoplasma.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Eggcessive and ChickenCanoe like this.
  7. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    I have a pen of seramas and a polish that a few of them have gurgly breathing but no other symptoms real healthy birds..... I cant really have any testing done either. And I've heard quite a few people if there birds get any symptoms of a respritory disease then they give them tylan.

8. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    I've looked before ya the prices are ok but I domt have any extra money right now. I'll relook into it but.

What's the dosage for it again?

9. casportpony

Contact this place and ask about getting them tested, I think it's affordable.
    https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Testing involves swabbing of the trachea I think.

If you can't do that, you could try treating just one with Tylan and see if it gets better, but if you are going to use Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 you will need to give it 3 times a day.

10. casportpony

Tylan 50 or Tylan 200?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: