Overamorous cockerel is hurting my one chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kalimani, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Kalimani

Kalimani Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2015
    Hi All, my cockerel is about a year old, he is very sweet with the (3) girls, but, paradoxically, has hurt his favourite one badly on her neck. I'm keeping her separate to heal, but am afraid it will just happen again once they are together.
    How can I discourage him?
    What I gather so far, is:
    1. Getting more chickens might spread the love better, ratio of 10 girls to 1 rooster
    2. Get rid of him. I will if I have to, but am hoping for another solution
    And that's about it.

Any suggestions?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Another way to approach it is to give him his own bachelor pad and let him mingle with the ladies only when you wish to set fertile eggs. If i did not wish to breed, I would not keep a rooster.

3. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Separating him either temporarily, or permanently is the best option for now, at least til your hen heals. He can go in a cage or pen that's inside your hen's area, so he can still be a part of the group without hurting them.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would separate him instead of her to avoid reintegration problems.
    Might want to separate him permanently.....or temporarily if you really need a cockbird.
    Even if you need one for re-population purposes, he might not be the best choice as aggression can be hereditary.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I agree......Not enough Hens.......Also agree to removing him, not the Hen......If He is a Jerk??? Chances are he will remain one.....

Cheers!!!

6. Kalimani

Apr 15, 2015
    Thank you all for your responses. I watched him closely today - he bonks the other 2 quickly, with no drama. I let him near the other one, Bertha, to see what he does (I have been away for some months, so this is my first day of observation). When he came near her, she did the submissive crouch, but then he really went for her neck, nothing like with the other two. I quickly separated them, he was not impressed, and she was in a bit of a daze, so I carried her off to safety.

Could this have something to do with the pecking order as well? She is a big bird, and used to be the top bird. Last time I saw them together he was so close to her (and 6 months younger), maybe dynamics changed while I was away?

He is the unplanned result of putting some fertile eggs under a broody. I don't need a cockerel, although the thought of getting some babies was appealing. But of course that means a 50% chance of more male chicks, so perhaps not such a grand idea. I am learning. Slowly.

I have separated him from the girls now, might divide the coop into two to keep him close but in his own quarters, or maybe with one of the girls that he is nice to. He is not happy being away from them.(he is right next to them, but I've closed the door to the nesting area).
    Bit rattled by it all! He will probably have to go.

7. Kalimani

Apr 15, 2015
    Yes, I agree, as he is being the jerk, he should be separated. I was kind of hoping he was just an accidental jerk, but maybe not. I am apparently rather weak, as I just went to check, and he was so distraught a being separated, that I put the two girls back with him (they were also distraught), and Bertha has the nesting area to herself for the night.
    I think I will get some more girls to hang with Bertha. Maybe.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

All we can do is give you advise......At the end of the day......It is you who knows what you can handle?

Best of Luck........

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you don't need him for breeding, there's simply no need. Your flock will be more content without him.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A roo like that... I'd strongly consider introducing him to the crock pot.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by