Overcoming my 2 worst phobias!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickenfan4life, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I had 2 extreme phobias: Hydraphobia and Acluaphobia (fear or water and darkness). I have overcome my fear of water and now LOVE it like no other. I have spent up to 7 hours in a pool. No lie! I am making some progress on overcoming Acluaphobia (fear of the dark), but I still haven't gotten very far. Really, it is more of being afraid of being alone in the dark. If I have pals with me, I am a little more okay. Let me tell you, though, if I'm in the dark with my dad, there is no fear anywhere in me. But if I am alone in the dark, I will literally go statue still and wait for someone to "rescue" me. Any clues on how to overcome this fear of mine? I have looked on the internet. Those aren't the best ideas. Any others? Thanks.

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    amazing job of over coming your fears!

3. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    I have a fear of darkness as well. It's not bad enough to be considered a phobia though. But mine comes from being afraid there's something in the darkness. So I sing. Whatever song is on my mind, I sing. Another ideas is to sit in your room at night, with enough light to do a puzzle or something, and just sit in the darkness for awhile. Once you're comfortable in your room, sit on your porch or lawn and look up at the stars, an keep easing farther out of your comfort zone. Remember to start somewhere that you feel comfortable in.

4. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Hmm when you close your eyes dont you see darkness or when you sleep think of light darkness nor light last forever.

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Night vision goggles. There is nothing there in the dark than what is there in the light. There is a lot of therapy available for these phobias but I have found immersion to work the best.

6. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I am mainly afraid of the dark if I am outside in the dark. Then I will, like, panic. Start freaking out like no other.

7. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Sit right outside your house, like on the porch in the dark. you'll eventually feel comfortable on the porch in the dark, then sit in your yard. If you need to sit with a friend or your dad the first few nights, that's okay as well. If you keep edging farther and farther from your comfort zone, it'll take care of itself. :)

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Do you do this when you are alone or does it matter?

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Well done for overcoming the first one! I also worked on overcoming a phobia (mine's fire) and though I don't love fire yet, I've made peace with it. It's a difficult thing to do and you should be proud of yourself!
    With the dark I'd suggest taking baby steps. Go outside and take a lamp or something with you. When the panic gets too much, turn the light on. But wait a bit longer every time. Eventually try to not use the light at all. Stay calm and don't think about what you're doing. Just do it like it's something you do every day. You'll brainwash yourself eventually [​IMG] Best of luck!

10. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I do this mainly when I am alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by