Overcrowded?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarlieO, Jan 6, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Hello!! My chicks started hatching yesterday. There are 25 in the 'bator and so far 10 have hatched. It's getting extremely crowded with chicks and broken eggs. Is it at all safe/possible for me to remove the chicks that have hatched to give the others more room? I know you're not supposed to open the incubator but it seems like too much going on in there. Just curious!!! As always, thanks for the help!!

2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    No leave them alone it will be fine

3. Harleyx2

Harleyx2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Winder,Georgia
    If they are dry pull Em out real fast

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i take mine out after a few hours. i belive the recommendation is to take them every 8 hrs. i would grab some shells too.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't remove chicks if there are pips in the other eggs. I wait until there are no pips and then pull them out really fast as Harley said.

Make sure your humidity doesn't fall or they will shrink wrap inside the egg even if there is no pip.

My incubator doesn't let them dry out is why I get them out of there fast.

6. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Well the ones that have hatched are dry. It's been about 24 hours since they've hatched. I know their yolk sac will feed them for three days. There are several eggs that have pipped so I'll try leaving them in and see what happens. Today is day 21 so hopefully the rest will hatch soon. Any suggestions are appreciated!!! This is my first-ever hatch so I'm wanting to do things correctly. :)

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes no worries on the food yet. They don't even get hungry until the second day from my experience. And then on the third they really start eating more.

You will want to give the eggs 3 days past the due date if they candle OK, as you may have some late hatchers. Of course if they smell bad throw them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by