Overdue button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Blacklotus, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Blacklotus

Blacklotus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hello [​IMG]

I'm very new to incubating eggs, I have two button quails who are sitting on their own eggs at the moment, due to hatch any day now.. but in the beginning she had way too many eggs so decided to take some in and try incubate them myself and leave her with a couple to hatch on her own. I was very curious to watch the growth of a chick in an egg, and I've looked after the eggs so well! Unfortunately out of the 3 eggs that I had, one has made it to the end, he was due on day 16, and it is now almost day 19.. and wondering whats going on, so I candled lastnight, he was starting to push but not alot, and then candled again this afternoon (Inside the bator to keep warm) and everything looks perfect, air sac is good.. and chick is starting to push heaps more now and the air sac has gotten bigger aswell, BUT... it looks like he is struggling to push through the membrane... he has been pushing up there for hours and still is not through to the air sac.. I'm wondering; can some chicks struggle to push through? and end up drowning? or is this a long process? can I help this little chick hatch? It's the only one I have left, I would be pretty shattered if he died!

Thanks in advance

2. Blacklotus

Sep 8, 2016
    Australia
    So it seems I was worrying for nothing! Little chicky made his way into the world all on his own [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    That's great news!
    How did brooder momma do with her eggs?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. Blacklotus

Sep 8, 2016
    Australia
    The eggs still haven't hatched, but she's still sitting tight on them, any day now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by