1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Overfed chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leighmo, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:09 PM.

1. Leighmo

Leighmo Hatching

Friday
    I am currently taking care of my grandparents farm while they're away. I have taken care of their chickens many times before and it's been uneventful. They get a pellet like feed in the morning and different grains and a corn like feed in the evening. They have recently been feeding them dry, unsalted cottage cheese in the morning with their pellets and they have been doing fine. Since Monday I have been making them treats which has resulted in them being excited for my arrival everyday which makes it interesting as they had always been indifferent to me before. I've been adding things like wheat germ and bran and oats, kelp powder, grapes, cucumber and tomatoes.. but this morning when I went, one of the chickens was kind of lethargic and wobbly, she still walked around but it was almost like she was feeling too heavy and unbalanced and I fear that she's just eating too much? I'm hoping I'm not hurting the chickens in any way, but it's just her that's having issues today, and she's the one that was most excited over the last week for me to come in. Is it possible she's just eating way too much?

2. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Songster Premium Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    It is unlikely that she is unwell due to overeating. It is more likely there is another issue causing her lethargy and weakness. It could be a physical problem like an injury or foot wound, or an internal problem such as problems with egg laying or her crop. How does her comb look? Try to monitor her poop and how much she is eating and drinking.

3. Leighmo

Leighmo Hatching

Friday
    Sorry, I'm new and unsure what I'm doing. She definitely had a messy bum, so I must have given her diarrhea...I wish I was more knowledgeable about chickens. She was the most enthusiastic chicken when I came in to feed..I'm worried the extra food I've given them has made her sick. Out of 7, shes the only one acting odd

snow5164 likes this.
  4. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Manitoba , Canada zone 3a
    Just give them what they’re used to . Changing their diet can affect them ,

Make sure their water is clean every day and that they have their pellet food .

5. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Songster

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    Most likely to be eggbound or have ascites (water belly). It's still not a great idea to add a whole bunch of new foods randomly though.

6. Leighmo

Leighmo Hatching

Friday
    I have added things on top of their regular diet but I'll definitely back off. There was an extremely hot couple days a month or so ago (43C or 110F) and since then they stopped laying. They average 1 egg per day..I guess I was trying to encourage egg production...and the fact they were excited to see me which I had never seen that side of chickens before.
    I'm just hoping she doesnt die :(

snow5164 likes this.
  7. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Songster

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    FYI, none of the things you added would help egg production, they would actually lower it. You want high protein foods for eggs.

Leighmo and snow5164 like this.
  8. Leighmo

Leighmo Hatching

Friday
    Ok, good to know. I'm glad I came here..I have been doing random Google searches up until now.

9. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Manitoba , Canada zone 3a
    The foods you gave them are good , they won’t die from that , but there might be something wrong with her and chickens are not very strong ,

It’s not your fault ,
    Just do what your grandparents asked you to do !

Good luck

Leighmo likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: