Overfeeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FalcoSparverius, Aug 6, 2009.

1. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    Is it possible to overfeed my chickens?

2. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i dont think so are they meat birds?

3. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    They are hens that we have for eggs.

4. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    no they will not over eat, but u can place out feed to the point they waste it, so i would consider that as over feeding, cause feed aint cheap

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    they should have a complete chicken feed available to them at all times and they will self-regulate. They will not overeat. If they are given too many scratched grains or other treats, it can cause health problems, but as long as those things are given in moderation, they will eat a regular balanced feed at a reasonable rate. Only meat chickens can overeat and get fat if you're not careful. Your layers are best off with food out all the time! Easy as pie.

6. Let them eat all they want of their appropriate feed... you do have to limit certain treats

7. I have changed my view on feeding a dual-purpose laying flock. We have started providing feed every other day to limit fat hens. The dual purpose hens typically over consume compared to their egg production. OUr hens are laying very nicely and are in great condition.

If you have Leghorn-type layers then I recommend providing .24 to .33 lb feed/hen/day.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: