Overgrown beak

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Haakon21, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Haakon21

Haakon21 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Hi all,
    So I just posted a thread asking about one of my girls, (Pebble), beaks. Here is a picture of her;[​IMG]
    You can kinda see that the top beak is really overgrown. It is winter so there is nothing for them to scratch or peck at, so the beak isn't getting ground down. Should I trim or let it be?
    Thanks!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You can trim it back. If you place a brick or flat rock near the feeder they will hone their beak on it.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I have had one of my chickens do that before, I just trimmed it back a little bit with some fingernail clippers. If you let it be, it might affect her eating. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Looks like you have some good advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, I've heard some folks will actually file and grind it back. [​IMG] Beats me as I've never had to trim anything but spurs. Best wishes!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Aww... she is cute! Yes, you can file down the beak. There is a blood line that is visible if you look closely, so be aware it is there as you don't want to break through it. Get yourself one of those paper nail files and a big towel. Set the bird on a bench and wrap the towel around her back, wings and breast area as she stands. Then turn her over and lay her in your lap with her head at your belly, feet out of the towel. Look closely at the beak's tip and you will see a line/vein running along the edge of the upper mandible. (beak) That is blood. Take your file in one hand and hold her beak still, and file down the tip as if you are filing your own nail. The beak material is similar to your finger nail and while birds can actually sense as much as your index finger can with their beak, it won't hurt them to file the tip. Just don't file into that line of blood. If the line is pretty far down the beak toward the tip, file close to this vein and it will naturally back away. Each week you should be able to file more as the vein backs off further up the upper mandible. The upper mandible should hang over the lower mandible around a 1/16th of an inch or so. If the beak gets too long, they can't pick up food properly and can suffer ill health or even die. Your birds beak does need a good filing.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

2 people like this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    2 Crow reply tells you all you need to know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by