Overgrown garden help

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
We moved into our property 3 years ago in August. There were 2 gardens and they are so overgrown with years of weeds. I would like to do something with them but each year i try to get them shaped up the battle with weeds makes it appear that i haven’t really revived them fully.

Any ideas?

Would burning back with some paper shavings help?

I just can’t stand that there are already 2 plots that could be used that i hate to make a new one but i am tempted to start fresh!! I already build 2 raised beds for this year but i really want to be using them all for my veggies!!

We moved into our property 3 years ago in August. There were 2 gardens and they are so overgrown with years of weeds. I would like to do something with them but each year i try to get them shaped up the battle with weeds makes it appear that i haven’t really revived them fully.

Any ideas?

Would burning back with some paper shavings help?

I just can’t stand that there are already 2 plots that could be used that i hate to make a new one but i am tempted to start fresh!! I already build 2 raised beds for this year but i really want to be using them all for my veggies!!
Goats are great for clearing land as long as you don't have azaleas or rhododendrons.

Goats are great for clearing land as long as you don't have azaleas or rhododendrons.
We have 3 Nigerian dwarves and they seem interested in any plant except the ones that should go;-) seriously i have tried to corral them over areas that i need cleared and they seem annoyed that i suggested they stop free loading and do some work!

Not really committed to any method at this point. Just one that works!

I was going to do the linked method but I need to plant some rather than later so I picked up some garden weed preventer. I'll post back in a couple weeks to let you know how it works lol.
I did see some organic sprays at the store yesterday so there are some options other than glyphosate, I just don't know how well they work, comparatively.

Hello from OH!

Do you know what type of weed is causing the most trouble? Thistle is terrible if that is what you have.

You can approach it chemically, of course.

You could give up one more summer and cover it with black plastic to "cook" the weeds and seeds. (and you could add some hot manure at this point so the heat will break it down under the plastic, and hopefully add to the inhospitable environment for the weeds). In the late summer, uncover it to see if anything springs to life. You could also uncover it and apply a pre-emergent weed control product - should keep anything from sprouting from seed. If you uncover and do not apply pre-emergent, then you could sow a cover crop, allow to grow, then till or turn under for some green manure to decompose over the winter.

Back
Top Bottom