Overhang beak??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by little farmer, Feb 6, 2013.

1. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, recently I've noticed on my Barred Rock that her beak is really long, and it's hanging over the bottom part of the beak. She's had it for a little while, doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I don't want her to peck a hard surface, and crack her beak. So, my question is, do I trim it, or what do I do??? She's had it for a couple months, and she doesn't mind it at all, but I don't want her to crack it, because this one time a coyote came, long story short, freaked out all my chickens (he didn't get any) and thankfully only a couple toenails ripped, and she (my BR, Snap) cracked her beak. It grew back normally, and then it started this overhang thing. Thanks in advance!!! -little farmer
    Here is a picture: Tell me if you can't see it very well, or if you need another.

[​IMG]

2. theycallmevern

theycallmevern Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Loris sc
    I've seen blocks called pecker wreckers , some feed stores. Supposed to wear down beak as they eat on it

3. little farmer

Thank you!!! I'll check my feed store, if they don't have it, do I just let it go, or do I trim it or something? I just dunno what I'd be able to trim it with.

4. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! My EE Midge has this problem,only her's is crossed too. Do not cut it close to the quick, or it will bleed a LOT. I know from experience...:( I would try using a big file on it! Hope she gets better!

5. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops, double post!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You could give a 25 mg Vitamin K tab once a day for a couple days, then use toenail clippers to carefully clip the beak back a bit. Keep some blood stop powder by your side when doing it just in case.

7. little farmer

Thanks!! Micahel Apple, where would I get Vitamin K tab???
    She sits pretty still, could I cut it today with toenail clippers???

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You can buy Vitamin K at any health food store or drugstore. Just make sure they are around 25 mg. I would give the bird 25mg tab once a day for two days before clipping back the beak. Get some blood stop powder or a stick of chalk from the feed store in case there's a little bleeding. Take a little off at a time and see how it looks. You want to avoid bleeding if possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by