1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

overhanging beaks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzleman74, May 14, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    do i have to sand down their beaks if they are hanging over their bottom beak? Is this normal, will they naturally sand it down by pecking at the dirt and rocks? they have an outdoor pen too. what should i do?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine are on a sand run so it is not very hard. I put one of those round cement stepping stones in with them and the one with the notch in his beak has about gotten it sanded down to regular beak. You may try that.
    sharon

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi I've never had the over-grown beak problem in the 3 years I've lived with my chickens. [​IMG] I wouldn't begin to know how to trim a chicken's beak IF I had to ![​IMG] I do notice that my flock of free rangers are rubbing their beaks on the sandstones a few times daily. My hubby jokes that they're secretly prepping for our murder! LOL! [​IMG]

4. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    haha, thanks soo much!

5. Betsy57

Betsy57 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Murphysboro IL USA
    Quote:I just trimmed my rooster's beak last week. He just let me hold him and trim it with toe nail clippers for dogs. I didn't have to hold his head or anything, just did it all by myself. What a pleasant surprise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by