1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overhanging gourd vines?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pent, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I came across the interesting information that gourd leaves, because they are so strong smelling and bad tasting, are rarely eaten by animals such as domestic rabbits, among other creatures, and thought it might be a good plant to grow up the wire of a chicken run. I can't seem to find specific information on gourd leaves and vines, as they relate to chickens, however. Has anyone tried to feed their chickens gourd vines? I wasn't sure where to put this question, as it plays a part in my coop design, but is also kind of a food question.
    My question is twofold; will they eat them, and will it harm them if they do? I'm talking about hard gourds, the kind used to make bottles and birdhouses.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I have not seen any books, people, or websites hold up any red flags for gourd vines being toxic. What you can do is look up toxic plants to chickens and see what that bestows. I would not know if your chickens would eat it or not it all depends on the birds preference I think they would more likely eat the gourd if at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by