Overhead netting combined with electric poultry netting fencing.

Shellebelle920

Songster
Feb 10, 2019
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I’d really like to give my girls access to “free-range” within my premier 1 electric poultry netting area. However, I feel like I live in a bird of prey sanctuary, and I had two losses over the winter from hawks. The first time was my fault for giving my birds a day of reprieve during a beautiful January day. My rooster got killed that day. The second time, a hawk broke into my covered pen using a 6 inch gap opening between my coop and my pen and killed one of my ladies in the PEN!!! It was completely shocking to see the hawk flying around in my pen. Of course that gap got covered quickly. Anyway, I bought overhead netting from Pinnon farms, and I would like to rig up something to attach it to the electric poultry netting or posts without having to build a whole other fence inside the electric netting. Does this seem possible? Could I use electric tape to attach the overhead netting to the electric netting’s poles. Do you have any suggestions? (My newly built coop is in the back!)
3D8F5AA0-5D99-4823-A8BF-F8608D0931C9.jpeg

I own 2 rabbits so birds of prey is also a problem for me, but for chickens to be in a open pen with no cover can be risky so I suggest placing covers where the chickens can run to to hide themselves rather than being out in the open. For my bunnies I use cardboard boxes, old side tables made of wood and kids play tunnels.:jumpy:bun

I have electric wires around my coops and pens. I also have some good heavy duty netting that covers all of my pens. Works great.
20210115_095548.jpg

This is the netting I used.
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg
IMG_20200315_191822.jpg
20210113_164207.jpg

Does the netting hot or touch any of the hot wite
I have electric wires around my coops and pens. I also have some good heavy duty netting that covers all of my pens. Works great.
View attachment 2610154
This is the netting I used.
View attachment 2610196View attachment 2610197View attachment 2610198
does your overhead netting hit or connect to any of the hot wires. I’m not sure if I could connect the netting directly to my electric fencing or not. The top line (where I would try to connect) is charged.

does your overhead netting hit or connect to any of the hot wires. I’m not sure if I could connect the netting directly to my electric fencing or not. The top line (where I would try to connect) is charged.
I use regular zip ties that I get at any big box store. They do not conduct electricity. Neither does the bird netting. I even spent a few dollars more for reusable zip ties I found on Amazon. They just have an extra little pinch spot so you can unzip the zip tie again and again. They all work great. Sometimes I've cut the netting to fit. Other times I bundle any excess with zip ties all along one side of the electric fence, or just leave it hanging on the ground outside the fence. That way I can move the fence and always have enough net to fit a new shape. Sometimes longer along the driveway. Sometimes square or round. I have 2 nets and 2 electric fences. Sometimes I run them around a corner of the house or barn. Wherever I have weeds and bugs to be cleared away. I like eggs well enough. But I like having No ants, spiders, mosquitoes, ground nesting bees, mice, snakes, and ticks even better. I've lost entire flocks to coyotes and hawks bit I've never lost any bird under a net zip tied to an electrified fence. And I only give them tarps over pvc frames (or plywood boxes in winter) for shelters. I don't have a coop and the barn is a tool shop so they can't poop in there all night. Just make sure your fence stays charged or buy the adapter and plug it in with an extension cord. I switch mine to an extension cord in the winter as my solar energized doesn't hold a charge in cold weather and deep snow.

Love the work your doing. Not sure it works for not doing it yet. Saw a GIF. Of a rooster sounding the alarm and all the hens rushing into cover to a thick woody hedge. I like the idea that a woody hedge would provide good protection from a bird of prey being tangled up and unable to have a clear strike for the birds. Thought I would mention the idea for having a small dense bush area in the open range areas instead of needing to build a new or bigger contained area?

does your overhead netting hit or connect to any of the hot wires. I’m not sure if I could connect the netting directly to my electric fencing or not. The top line (where I would try to
I zip tie the netting to the top line of electric poultry fence. Loosely, no need to tighten those zip ties too fearcely, so you can remove it later without damaging your electric line. I've been switching to reclosable zip ties that I found on Amazon. The reusable kind are great to use with moveable fencing. Neither the zip ties nor the netting conduct electricity. I can touch them both while the fence is turned on.

I zip tie the netting to the top line of electric poultry fence. Loosely, no need to tighten those zip ties too fearcely, so you can remove it later without damaging your electric line. I've been switching to reclosable zip ties that I found on Amazon. The reusable kind are great to use with moveable fencing. Neither the zip ties nor the netting conduct electricity. I can touch them both while the fence is turned on.
Thank you fir the response! It’ll be very helpful when we try the overhead netting. We still haven’t had the chance to put it up yet!

Back
Top Bottom