Overheated Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prncs13, Jul 8, 2010.

1. prncs13

prncs13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    How do I cool my chicken down? It is 96 degrees and she is not doing well. I moved her to a ventilated cage with a fan, wet cloth on the floor and food and water.

Any help?

Miichelle

2. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    home depot has these "personal misters" for $10 this year. They are a curly que sort of colorful plastic rod that you screw on to the end of a garden hose. It's primary use is for people sunbathing, but I bet you could get one and set it up in the run for the chickens. Misting supposedly brings down the air temp by 20 degrees.

Good luck.

3. Duchessk75

Duchessk75 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    1.9 Acres Ohio
    I fill milk jugs and 2liters with water and freeze them, then put them in the coop. It really helps to keep my girls cooled off. I have a 8'x8' coop, so I put 5-6 in, and they usually stick around them. It like coop air conditioning. If you are just trying to cool down one, try filling a big bowl with ice cubes, put the fan behind it, and blow the cold air toward her. Good Luck!

4. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    She is standing on the wet towel and has the fan going. She seems to be cooling down. I just added the ice in front of the fan. Will freeze some water jugs and sending the husband to Home Depot for a mister. We live in Vermont, its not supposed to be this hot.

Thanks for the advice.
    M

5. Grandpawise

Grandpawise New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    It is 110 degrees here again today and it will at times get to 120 before it cools down in the fall. I have ice in the water and a shade screen. The coop is under a shade tree. Just went to Home Depot and got a fan. The gals are 12 weeks old and talking to me about the heat. They are panting and I worry about them. Just how much heat can they take?[​IMG] All 6 are really pets as the grandkids go in after we put hay down. They sit and hold them and pet them.

6. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Try giving her some chilled watermelon. Chickens love it - People live it as a cool down treat too. (Thanks earlier posters! I'm going to remember to freeze some gallon jugs to place in the coop.)

7. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    My hens seem to like the mister and watermelon is a good one. My hen that was over heated died. She actually had cancer and was filled with fluid and I just didn't know. We had to put her to sleep a few hours before I had to get on a plane. It was awful.
    M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by