Overheated Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cowgrl4life, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Cowgrl4life

Cowgrl4life Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Got HOT here today and just got home from work, I already lost one to the heat today and there is another that isn't doing well. I have her sitting in an ice bath right now, is there anything else I can do for her? I sprayed down the other chickens outside with some water, and i'm about to head out and set up a box fan for them to sit by. Any other suggestions?

2. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't think of any more suggestions for today. Tomorrow my suggestions would be: put up shade tarps, put ice and electrolytes into their water, leave the box fan running and look towards installing an inexpensive misting system. It got brutal hot yesterday and today here also.

3. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I put up a tarp to create a large shade area, keep a box fan running all day, put a little electrolytes in their water, and put cubes in the waterer in the morning and again when I get home. Also, I put the sprinkler on in the run just a little to act as a mister on REALLY hot days. Never would have believed that chickens would like a cool shower, but it is pretty funny to watch them run right through the water when they could easily go around. Some just stand in it and cool off. 95-100 degrees with 80% ++ humidity is fit for neither man nor beast.

I may go run in the sprinkler with them tomorrow. [​IMG]

Rob

4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    the weather man says it is in the 'Dangerous Range' not just extreme. We use a box fan and I change their water more often. They still pant which bothers me. But I let them out early to range in the woods. There is a lot a good ideas out there, freezing milk jugs looks good to me I just don't have room in my freezer!

5. Gingersprite

Gingersprite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    I have used the frozen milk jugs since I read about it here, and it seemed to help. I half fill 2 jugs and freeze them and leave them in the run (day) or roost area (night) to emit coolness. I also have had a fan on constantly for the last month. I live in Bethlehem PA and we have had a hot, humid summer so far, with days in the 90s several at a time. I also let mine out in the AM and when I get home, and they have a tarp over their run. They use their dust bath area like crazy in the heat. I love the sprinkler idea, i have tried to hose them but they hate it, and their roost is high in the coop and when they pant I have misted them there (they all seem to dislike it but I figure it's cooling them), but now i will try the sprinkler the next hot day, good thought! I am so sorry you lost any, I didn't know we had to worry about that until reading about people losing them to heat, it's heart breaking. I have 9 Buff Orpingtons and 1 barred rock and 1 Golden Comet (awesome breed) so these are not small birds, especially the Buffs. Oh, I also insulated my coop! I think that definitely helps in the heat and the cold!
    Good luck,
    Shelagh M.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by