Overheated Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sam21, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Sam21

Sam21 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Over the past few weeks, I anticipated my eggs being shipped. At that waiting period, I made an incubator, got a thermometer with a hygrometer. My first thermometer and hygrometer broke and i needed a new one. By the time I got my chickens, the thermometer and hygrometer didn't work anymore. I had to incubate the eggs without one. The fifth day of incubation, I got a thermometer and I noticed that the eggs were at 109 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm a new chicken raiser and I'm not sure if the eggs are dead. When I candle my eggs, I can see a dark mass in the middle. Two of the egg has a dark mass but also a dark spot on the bottom of the egg. I'm not sure if my eggs are dead or not. Is it possible for my eggs to survive that.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, when internal egg temperature reaches 104 degrees and stays there for a while generally it means death for the embryo :( At day five when you candle you should see veins. You can compare what you're seeing to the candling page in the learning center. Really, you should see veins and if the eggs were incubating at 109 degrees for five days I don't know that there's much hope. My eggs peaked to 114 for only a few hours and I lost all but two. 109 for five days is not good :(

Edited to say :welcome! I really do hope you'll have luck with some of your eggs!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. Sam21

Sam21 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    nice to meet you also and there are no signs of veins

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] Guessing they are toast. Sorry. You probably need to calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer because they may not be accurate. I usually use a couple of each when incubating even when I have tested and calibrated. You can do a Search on this site for How to calibrate each and it will bring up the how to. Good Luck.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by