Overheated eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BatonRougeChick, Jan 1, 2014.

1. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    I put my eggs in yesterday and temp was right at 100 for a few hours so I considered it stable. When I woke up this morning it was 110! I know that's way too hot. But since it was just day 1, is there a chance they'll still do ok, or is it pretty certain that they are ruined? Thanks.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The Brinsea website has a table on temperature effects ... http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html
    "Zone of heat injury (above 40.5°C/104.9°F)
    At continuous temperatures above 40.5°C (104.9°F) no embryos would be expected to hatch.
    However the effect of short periods of high temperature are not necessarily lethal. Embryos
    up to 6 days are particularly susceptible, older embryos are more tolerant. For example,
    embryos up to 5 days may well be killed by a few hours exposure to 41°C (105.8°F) but
    approaching hatching time they may survive temperatures as high as 43.5°C (110°F) for
    several hours."

It sounds like it would depend on how long they were that high, unfortunately it seems that younger eggs are more susceptible to heat damage. Hope your eggs beat the odds and do OK.

3. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for that information! Before posting here, I searched the web and could not come up with anything.

4. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    I'll leave them a little longer but I added a couple more fresh eggs now that the temp is stable.

5. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    This is my second hatch, the same thing happened to me on my first hatch (woke up with temperature spike), none developed fully sorry to say.
    This time I wake up through the night, like every 3 hours to check the temp! Its insane I know but I dont want to mess it up this time.

6. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    That's disappointing but thanks for letting me know so I will be prepared for disappointment. I'll add a few more today then I guess and give up on the others if no development in a few days. :)

7. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    After a week it looks like the overheated eggs are not developing at all. But the 4 I put in the following day are! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am worried about the other ones- what if I crack them and they are developing and I just didn't see it? I am sure about 4 of them, but 2 if them have shells so dark that it's hard to tell. I probably need to go ahead and remove them though so they don't break and contaminate the others.

8. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    My boyfriend and I have been rotating getting up every hour or two to make sure our homemade incubator temp is stable. it's exhausting, but after a few scares totally worth it!

1 person likes this.
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  10. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I had two bad (0%) hatches so far with my home made styrobators... I got kinda tired of checking this thing every 2-3 hours, I wasnt getting any sleep! So I got me a brinsea mini for $79. So totally worth it. This thing is keeping temperature steady like a rock. The turning is no problem, I turn when I wake up, come home around 3pm and around 7pm and around 11pm. Also I keep it in my walk in closet, elevated off the ground (milk crate). (no sunlight no window no draft)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by