overheated??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gardeniagirl, Jul 2, 2010.

1. gardeniagirl

gardeniagirl New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    I have four free range chickens. Yesterday was hot and getting humid... 112 degrees??? Found my polish crested, 9mo old yesterday afternoon laying on the patio, unable to walk or lift head and she was panting rapidly. I brought her in the house and gave water with dropper and she perked up by evening. I put her out again this morning before the heat came. She walked a bit and then stood in the shade and never moved around with the other chickens. We bought a mister last night and I put that on. She sat right next to it, never left it and got all wet. She just doesn't seem to have any energy and it's getting so hot. So I brought her in again. I haven't seen her eat much, but she did poop yesterday.... I haven't noticed this morning. I gave her a little water/calcium as well as I could. BTY, how do you get a chicken to open their beak so that you can administer water or meds??? I felt her abdomin and do not feel an egg/mass. Her tail is more on the droopy side and not sticking up. She really looks so much better than yesterday, but not herself, quiet, slow, inactive. I had a chicken die over 2 weeks ago. I don't know if it is related. No signs of distress, just found her one morning in the coop dead. I'm really nervous because I'm supposed to go out of town this evening and I don't know that the dog sitter will be around much or willing to check on her. Should I keep her inside the whole weekend? Any other suggestions?

2. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    She is definitely under the weather so I would keep her in in the care of someone (if you can't be around) who can tend to her. She really needs close watching to ID other symptoms (if any) to help sort this out.

If it was the heat that got to her she may need some days to feel better. If it's something else, she's double vulnerable with those kind of insane temps.

I use a dropper and gently and very slowly dribble gently along the beak line whatever I need to administer, so they swallow on their own and don't choke. No need to open the beak for this.

I hope she'll be okay .

JJ (aka jjthink but that doesn't work from my current location)

3. gardeniagirl

gardeniagirl New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks. It is 113 degrees outside today. She is in the house and walking around a bit and making some of her normal cute sounds. I still haven't seen her eat or drink today except for what I dribbled on her late this morning. She just pooped though and it was very watery. some clear consistency like a raw egg white, there was the normal white in it and some bright green. I think I will keep her in doors and have someone look in on her.

4. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    How goes it with your little sweet one? [​IMG]
    113 is nuts. It will be 100 here today, before heat index thrown in. So maybe closer to 110. Horrid.
    JJ

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Uh oh. You didn't come back. I hope she's okay [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by