Overheating... Summer Heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommto3kiddos, May 11, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    We are kissing the 95 degree mark here today and its been HOTT all week. My poor Cornish X girl (the one that was supose to be dinner 3 weeks ago, but won our hearts) looks like she is about to melt! Shes acting fine, and of course it hasn't effected her appetite, but she just looks so hot, open mouth breathing and everything.. I mean I know shes a big girl and all, but should I be worried?? I was thinking of putting her in the garage were its temperture controled, but then I thought the change in temps might be worse on her than letting her be out in the heat..

Thoughts?!?

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Several BYCers fill small kitty litter boxes with water to give chickens little wading pools to cool off in. Make sure she has access to shade. You could also provide frozen water bottles for her to lean on. We use cooler ice sheets for our rabbits. We also put ice in their water to keep it cool.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I was wondering about a kinda wadding pool, I have a half size litter box that I would put in. I think I might try the frozen water bottles first.. Shes the only one that seems to be affected by the heat right now!! Thanks for the ideas!!

Oh and they have TONS of shade to get under when free ranging and the entire coop is covered! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I agree it can be a tough call. I have big chickens too and find that they pant more when there is a spike in temperature. I have heard it takes some time for them to acclimate to the higher temps. Since the panting is normal and she still has an appetite I would still keep her outside assuming that she will need to get used to the summer temperatures. Some folks have put ice in the water and put a box fan in the coop. Make sure they have shady spots, too. Unless she shows more distress, I would save the garage for the hotter temp spikes that will come in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by