Overload of scovie ducklings!!! Pics of babies added!!! post 10

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck&chickencrazy, May 14, 2010.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Well my muscovie started laying eggs and i didnt want her to have any babies at first but she seemed really dedicated about laying her eggs so i let her continue until she about 23 or 24 eggs...i thought that was wayyyyy to many eggs for only one duck to handle so i luckly had a nother duck go broody at the same time and she was only sitting on 1 egg so i slipped about 10 under her and left the rest for my scovie. So a week and a half ago i candle and the blue swede had 5 growing and the scovie had 10 growing...i thought the number was kinda low but i guess that might be because some of the eggs were really old...it took her 23 days at the least to lay them all so i think its a pretty good number...but anyways her eggs should be hatching sometime this week....i dont know exactly when because i cant remember when she started to lay....the scovie is so funny though....she laid her nest in a compost pile...she is sooooo cute though...she sqeaks and throws a fit when i go to check the eggs...i really like her....i will post pics of her and her eggs soon...just thought i would talk about her a little bit lol....she is pretty great...o and i am pretty sure 2 of my other scovie hens are sitting on nests...lol uh o!!!! one i think is under the porch and i have no idea where the other one could be. I have 6 scovies at my house and i have only been seeing the male and 2 females walkikng around the yard. All 5 (minus the one laying in the compost pile) usually stick together around the yard, but now i noticed i only see all of them when i feed them...i think im gonna have alot of babies!!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congrats, Amy!!!! May you runnith over with Scovy ducklings! [​IMG] Will be awaiting pic's! [​IMG]

3. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    ok there are 11 eggs left over as of right now...i could have sworn there was 16...i never took any out...but anyways they are hatching today [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

lol i am so excited...i think this is the first time she has ever hatched any babies so i hope she does well!!!! I will post pics eventually lol

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ahhh that is awesome..I will i lived near you. YOu have to post pic when you can. Now you are a grandparent [​IMG]

5. keeperofthehearth

[​IMG] Have a great hatch!!!! Amy, she probably took out some of the bad eggs herself. They usually do.

6. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:lol i know but she is in a box that has sides of at least 1 foot high all around...so she would have had to have picked them up and toss them out...because i didnt see them in the box...but they cant do that soooo i dont know happened...

7. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    whoo 6 babies are out already!!!!! yay!!!they are all different colors to...some are yellow with black tails, one is a mallard looking one, one is all black, and i think there is one more color...what will the yellow with black on their tails look like when they are adults? Ok i will seriously take pics of them tomorrow...they are just soooo cute!!!

8. keeperofthehearth

[​IMG] Congrats on the new ducklings!!! The yellow w/black on their tails are black barred. Blue barred will look similar but with blue on the ends. SOOOOOO cute! Barred babies are the cutest esp. when they first feather out..... all stripy. [​IMG] Looking forward to pic's!!! [​IMG]

9. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i went to go take pics of the babies and found out the camera is broken...i was sooo mad!!! stinkin camera!!! i will really try to get some pics up soon, i might have to use a friends camera...i made a pen today for them and i cant wait to put them in it!!! i decided that im goingt o just let the hen raise them...she is a pretty good momma and she dosnt mind if i handle the babies...i got her used to being touched because i would make sure to pet her or something everyday and now she is ok with me...yay yay babies!!!

10. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Whoo hoo finally got the camera working!!! here are the pics of the babies!!! Enjoy!!! They are lovin their new cage that i made for them!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]