Overloaded Turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hennypenny99, Apr 17, 2011.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I bought an egg turner for my little giant today. Yay! Well a girl from work gave me some eggs to incubate for her and when you add mine too I am overloaded by about 5 eggs. Will I really burn out my turner motor if I just sit them on top of the other eggs? Half of my eggs are silkie eggs so they are small and the other half are Barnyard surprizes... I would say large to XL sized. They came from a lady who had Rhode Island Reds, Ameraucanas, and Black roosters. So with alot of my eggs being very small do you think the turner could handle the weight?

Thanks!

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Ummmmmmmm maybe someone will help you......my turner is full of duck eggs, with about 7 more balanced on top of those [​IMG] been that way for a week now
    I did put the bantam ducks on the top and the larger ones in the racks

1 person likes this.
  3. alexline

alexline Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Indiana

I'm incubating chicken eggs right now and I have my egg turner tray completely full and it's holding approximately 3 1/2 dozen eggs or 42 eggs so do you think it would ruin my egg turner if I put eggs on top of those? Which would fit 2 dozen more eggs? Do you or anybody got an opinion? Thank you!:)

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I know lots of folks do it, but I'm not one of them :p my concern isn't necessarily overloading the turner, but the eggs get too hot on top of the other eggs. Or possibly getting pinched in the turner rails and making a mess (probably unlikely, but if it can happen, it'll happen to me)!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. alexline

alexline Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Indiana
    I know lots of folks do it, but I'm not one of them :p my concern isn't necessarily overloading the turner, but the eggs get too hot on top of the other eggs. Or possible getting pinched in the turner rails and making a mess (probably unlikely, but if it can happen, it'll happen to me)!

Thank you so much for replying!:) I have the genesis model 1588 incubator so it has a built in fan to circulate the heat. So I guess that would solve that problem. But with pinching the eggs I guess I could use a couple eggs for a tester? So you or anybody doesn't think it'll blow the motor because of it having too much weight? Thank you!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by