Overly aggressive chick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknadventure, Apr 13, 2012.

1. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    question: Is it normal for one of your gals to be mean? Like, not to me but I had purchased 4 chicks from one farm, and 5 days later, bought 4 more from a different farm. All the chickens are less than 10 weeks old.

My brown frizzle cochin, she will literally cut off the "new" chicks from food and water and chase them back into the "coop".

I have a NN roo, and he just seems to be like "whatever".

How long would you let this go until you got rid of the "mean" hen. I am worried about the others getting enough fluid and food. And the crazy thing is, they are bigger than her, but in general, they are fearful of everything. They stay in the back of the coop when I have the door open. The original flock come out, fly around, have a great time, but only one of the 4 "new" from the bew flock will come out unless I pull them out by hand.

*the scaredy cats are 2 BR, one BA, and a silkie. My bossy flock is the frizzle cochin, turken roo, silkie, and copper maran

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's going to continue for up to 2 weeks with lessening degree. Your first batch has already established terrain and food supply so they will be the aggressors. As for the one being overly aggressive you could take her out of coop and run to be housed in cage or dog crate for few days alone in view of others. When reintroduced she'll be the "new" hen. As she's proven a scrapper will definitely reestablish herself in flock in no time without much ado.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    thanks-she is so pretty, I wasn't ready to "cull" her over this-I figured there had to be a way. I did seperate her a few days ago, but that was before we got the new pen. I reintroduced her before the new pen. I will seperate her again, and give the new flock time to establish before reintroducing her. The scaredy cat ones, even in the run, still like to hide in the corner. I am trying to get them to move around, but I think they are scared of her.

Advice taken and much appreciated! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by