Overly broody goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Tioga Karen, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Tioga Karen

Tioga Karen New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    I've got about a dozen geese, both Grey Toulouse, and white Pilgrim (of both sexes). A white female Pilgrim (she's about 7-8 years old) became extremely broody this year--setting even after we removed the eggs. We haven't allowed any hatchlings for several years because our remaining geese are to closely related. However, we relented and returned 2 eggs for her to hatch. The problem is that she NEVER leaves the nest. We have started putting food and water in the pen for her during the day when the rest of the flock leave, but unless its within reach--even sometimes when she can, it sets untouched. I'm concerned about her maintaining her health, and ability to walk. Any info or suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You might want to read this thread, especially Cottage Roses response https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...herself-if-she-lays-on-her-eggs#post_10324970. Post #4.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If she refuses to leave the nest, I would do the opposite and take the nest away from her, as in clear out ALL bedding, straw, nesting material she is using and place her in her own pen for a couple days with NO bedding, just bare ground. This usually helps break up stubborn broodies. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by