Overly full crop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenMomof7, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ChickenMomof7

ChickenMomof7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Can someone help me to treat an overly full crop in my chickens? The condition has been getting worse as time goes along. Grit is available (oyster shell as well). The hens seem perfectly healthy in every other way and they are laying well - big wonderful eggs. Thanks for your help!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How do you know it's "overlyfull"??? Some chickens just get HUGE crops during the day. Check her first thing in the morning (put food away at night so she has NO access before you go out to look at her) and see if her crop is down. If it is, then she's fine. If her crop is still big, then she most likely has an impacted crop. Do a search on that topic to get a LOT of info on treatment. Some give a little olive oil and massage the crop to help work the stuff loose in there. Get her to drink a lot too. There are more serious treatment options too, but make sure she actually IS impacted first.

3. ChickenMomof7

ChickenMomof7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. For both of them their crop is hanging down and has been that way for a while. It waddles back and forth - HUGE would be a good way to describe it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by